Statins linked to 20,000 side effects and 227 deaths

Posted , 7 users are following.

Express headline that you can Google:

"Statins linked to 20,000 side effects and 227 deaths"

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

THE CAT IS SLOWLY CLIMBING OUT OF THE BAG, FOLKS.....

LONG LIVE THE CAT..

• Posted

Thank goodness ..at last the truth is coming out....it's heartbreaking that it took so long .glad I used common sense and stopped them a few years ago....but some of the effects just don't go away....Thanks Derek....
    • Posted

I took them twice for a while and stopped due to muscle pain. I would never take them again. Others I know had worse problems than that.
  • Posted

I was treated for a nerve damage in my leg at a pain clinic and ended up worse when I came out! First, we drew the attention to an opium based opiate, which was introduced into the treatment, but now the odds are 50/50 whether the particular drug, buprenofine (52,5mg/h), could have triggered the side effects of the statin.

If there are any cases like this, meaning changing medications and in this case two different "families" of opiate based drugs or any similar case, I would be very interested to know. A couple of cardiologists didn't like the change, but could not say with certainty that the change triggered the side effects, which are severe, specially legs (muscle weakness) plus pains in my hands and fingers. I had only used statins for aound three months after a heart operatin (stent).    

• Posted

I've not taken satins for around two years or amiodarone for just over a year but I am hestiant to blame worsening numbness in my left foot and lower leg to them. The right leg is going the same way. Neurologist is doing blood tests/ MRI head scan and nerve conduction tests. The doctor who did the nerve conduction tests shares my opinion that the problem stems from my lower back but it is a long road to a final diagnosis.

I had blamed Bisoprolol as that was my most recently added medication. I stopped it a few weeks ago and all my other side effects went but not the neuropathy. 

• Posted

I haven't taken statins for nearly 12 months and about 2 months go developed numbness and my lower leg and foot. Could it be connected to statins?

• Posted

So far I have been to a podiatrist an orthopedic consultant and a neurologist and am still seeking an answer.

• Posted

Peripheral neuropathy is a well known side-effect of statins and therefore I recommend that you stop them for a while...to find out if you improve.  I'm confident you will as I have several friends who suffer from neuropathy as a DIRECT result of statins..... As this can be irreversible and progressive I would strongly recommend that you stop taking any form of statins, and that you take ubiquinol  ie Coenzyme Q10......as this may just help to reverse the process but I wouldn't hold your breath.
    • Posted

If us Peripheral Neuropathy sufferers could prove that it was as a DIRECT result of statins we could take an action against the drug manufacturers. If we could prove a connection the lawyers would be falling over themselves for a piece of the action.
    • Posted

My point exactly Marco - the trouble is that it takes a "lora lora loot" and no single person can afford to fight the DEEP pockets of BIG PHARMA. 

The only way round it is if MANY people who have suffered such severe, progressive and irreversible side effects could put forward a UNITED case - it might just work.....and as you say - then the floodgates would certainly open and the lawyers would racing to represent us.

• Posted

Thanks alzheimer I stopped taking them nearly 12 months ago and the numbness only started 2 months ago and I take cq10
    • Posted

This is interesting - I was under the impression that Bisoprolol was comparatively harmless, i.e. vs the statin. Did your doctor recommend to stop taking Bisoprolol?  I have no expectations regarding the neuropathy since that has to be treated as a different type of illness and in itself is not a side effect, but a damage to the nerve system.
    • Posted

I had a pacemker fitted on Friday and this very day the hospital doctor has put on my discharge notes " Intolerant to Bisoprolol" and has prescribed 180mg Diltiazem MR instead. Hopefully I will tolerate it.

With AF my heart rate was 100bpm this morning and is now 61bpm. How low it could  have taken it I dont know as the pacemaker kicks in when it goes below 60. My concern is how low it tkes my BP as two readings since getting home were 122/66 and 107/61.

• Posted

I HAVE BEEN PRESCIBED STEROIDS NOW AGAINST THE SIDE EFFCTS, I.E. MUSCLE PAIN, ETC.  DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE/IMPROVEMENTS FROM TAKING STEREOIDS?
    • Posted

Yes indeed I was also prescribed steroids etc and it did help somewhat but it's own side effects were nearly as horrendous ........so my answer is.... stop the statins!
    • Posted

Sounds like the usual doctors cop out. It can't be side effects it must be anothe complaint.

When I had hip pain after statins I had a steroid injection in each hip when they put it down to bursitis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.