Statins /M.E/CFS/Brain injury

Posted , 7 users are following.

I wonder if anyone with medical knowledge can offer any advice. I've just been put on statins for first time. Atorvastatin. I am 66. I have M.E./CFS and brain injury and have spent the last 12 years in bed. I get no exercise. My diet is mainly Mediterranean ; oats, soya milk, lentils, (no fish as it makes me sick)but I do smoke up to 8 cigarettes a day. I have had much stress in my life and now due to child abuse. I take Sertraline anti depressants, and Gabapentin for pain. My ldl is 3.7. hdl is 1.08.

triglycerides are 2.24. cholesterol level is 5.8.

I'd appreciate any advice. Hate the idea of statins see no alternative.

Thank you. Julie

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

has anyone tried ACV ? (Apple Cider Vinegar), does it work in lowering cholesterol as an alternative to statins ?

• Posted

i dont know much about cider vinegar but the side effects seem to be awful. If you don't want to rot your stomach and oesophagus, don't take it. look up the side effects.

• Posted

Thank you Susan. I was considering cider vinegar as there was a lot of hype about it being the new super food, until I too read about it's damaging effects to the stomach and throat etc. I recently read up about beetroot juice - no side effects and a guaranteed 7 - 10% reduction in cholesterol. It's vile on it's own but mixed with a stronger fruit flavour such as raspberry or blackcurrant its palatable. It has other health benefits too, so a win-win result.

• Posted

Re Statins/M.E/CFS/Brain Injury

If loxie and Susan are still out there somewhere...I want to say thank you to you both, for your advice you gave me three months back..

I got my cholesterol results back today and there is some improvement.

LDL: 3.8 ( previous : 3.7 )

HDL : 1.1 ( previous :1.08 )

Triglycerides : 1.53(previous : 2.24 )

Cholesterol level : 5.06(previous 5.08 )

I am eating about 14 eggs a week, and fish twice a week now. Need to look at more green veg I think/ lentils/beans etc. still work to be done.

I am not eating dairy so no saturated fat, no chocolate. very few biscuits. Dont understand why that has gone up.

Just wanted to say I appreciated your input.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.