Statins side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

Do statins cause burning chest and throat that comes and goes and is especially worse after meals. Also pain in between shoulder blades and pain in the chest and light headedness?

There seems to be so much bad reports of these side effects from taking statins.

Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shaun,

I had many bad side effects and neck and shoulder pain was definitely one of them. I also had headaches, balance issues, memory loss, vision problems and I used to drop things a lot. Once I quit them it took about a year for most symptoms to go away. If it gets worse you may want to reduce dosage or try a different statin, don't wait it out as it will probably get worse, not better.

Scott

• Posted

Hi Shaun - burning chest and throat sounds especially after meals sounds a bit like acid reflux. Statins can be the cause as it can irritate the liver. Pain in limbs/joints/muscles are not uncommon. Light headedness is also one of many possible conditions caused by statins. I fell into a dead faint twice walking through the city because of statins. I threw them away 2 years ago and still battle problems they caused. You have not mentioned what statins you are on, what dosage, or how long you've been taking them. Meanwhile, keep an eye out for any more seemingly unexplained anomolies that inhibit your health.

• Posted

I am taking atorvastatin 20mg daily and I have been taking them for 8 weeks, I have certanly suffered some unpleasant side effects. Today I was walking and suddenly everything went really bright and my body keep veering to the left, I was struggling to walk straight.

• Posted

I too had quite severe vertigo whilst taking statins, my doctor said 'it'll pass' - it didnt, it just got worse and it was impossible to drive or even work.  On top of all the painful limbs and memory problems, it was the final straw.  I flushed the statins and a lot of the crap started to go away.

• Posted

Hello 

My father 88, still a keen gardener grows all his own organic fruit and vedge has been on Statins for sometime. Six months ago the GP put him on warfarin because he has a leaky heart valve. His legs are now painfull, swollen, leaking fluid and covered in large black marks.His fingers too have black marks as big as a 5pence pieces  He goes to the doctor twice a week and struggles to walk now because of the pain.

Personally I would not take these drugs at all as I believe they are the cause. My father would be better off with puting up with the leaky valve. He has had it for years anyway?

I'm sure they cause alsorts of nasty problems.

Just quit eating sugar in any form, processed foods and booze and you will notice the differance. 

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi pat my MIL also has a leaky valve,was put on warfarin last year because due to her asthma she can't have op, her legs were like that even before she started on them and she has never taken statins even though considering her conditions I think she was offered them.

I do think that the leaking valve stops the heart being able to pump the blood round the body adequately. She has been told 2/3 years.

Does he put his feet up a couple of times a day and drink plenty of water.

She's 89 on the 27 and was and is very active.

They said she wouldn't survive the op, pity like in a radiator they can't put something through that blocks the leak.

There is a new medication that doesn't need constant weekly blue tests each week, when she comes back of hols she is swapping over.

• Posted

Hi there AlexandriaGizmo.

My father tells me he finds it too painfull to put his legs up. He says the best place is in bed lying flat.

He does drink quite a bit but sadly has to go upstairs to the loo which is now a struggle for him, so hesitates taking extra fluids.

Can you tell me what is the name of the new medication please?

Thanks for your help

• Posted

Pardon me, but has your father's GP been notified about the "black marks," which sound like bruising, which might be due to the warfarin, and/or the comgination of whatever statin he is taking plus the warfarin.

• Posted

Would he accept a portable commode then, so he will stay hydrated and not have the concern of the stairs.
    • Posted

Hi Pat there's 3/4 new types out there now, he needs to go back to his GP or discuss it with his warfarin nurse and he does need to show them his feet, while on blood thinners it can cause bad bruising on feet and hands and actually anywhere, lying flat though is not always good for leaking valves, does he have a recliner, a comode is good idea, or a pea pot which is great because its small enough too hide in a cupboard, also can be poured down outside drain as this goes straight onto sewers.

I find if MILs not drinking enough she has worse problems.

Can you go into DR's with him

• Posted

Hello to both Quandryite and AlexandriaGizmo

Father is quite a stubborn man though has a heart of gold.

I think the comode by his bed would be a good idea. I shall suggest it.

He has been to his GP regarding his bruising problems but he said the GP didn't seem to bother about it, saying it's what to expect, that it will go away.?

The black spots on his hands seem to dry up and flake off, weird. It's his legs I am very oncerned about, they look terrible so painful, leaky and swollen. The GP gave him antibiotics and his legs got worse.

I do feel helpless, but your right, I shall either go with him to his GP or contact him best wast way I can.

Thank you to both of you for your help

• Posted

Hi Pat sorry we can't be of more help, another suggestion would be a cool water soak with Epsom salts in it, all these things help but you need to make a list to take DR's with you and do tick box

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.