Statins Side Effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

How long does it take after stopping statins for the side effects to wear off? I have been taking them for several years and experience increasing physical and mental fatigue and achy muscles. I have come to suspect the 20mg per day I am taking for mildly high cholesterol.

My doctor suggests stopping taking them for two weeks and see if I start to feel better. He says statins don’t persist in the body very long.

But is two weeks really long enough to see a difference?

Thanks in advance for your advice and experiences.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

First, I recommend you wean off slowly. Start with skipping one day for a week, then skipping 2 days the next week, etc., until you're on one day a week and then nothing. In the meantime, while weaning off, take cq10, a baby aspirin with food on days you don't take a pill, vitality important vitamin c and fish oil. Not cod liver oil either. Once you wean off you will start feeling better until all your symptoms go away. My dad's took about 6 months to finally stop feeling the pain completely. But he also started feeling better once he started to wean off of them. He also took at that time and only sometimes now turmeric and Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM. He also now takes spirulina and kelp. Forgot to add to take that he takes berberine everyday. Also, avoid greasy fast food, he cooks only with avocado oil wgen cooking eggs and do not consume any other oils, like olive oil, other than fish oil. This is how my dad did it. Btw, he's doing better now than when he was on the statins & blood pressure meds. Hope this this helps.

• Posted

Please define mildly high? Total cholesterol means nothing without knowing what your triglycerides are. What are your triglycerides?
  • Posted

My experience was that Afyer stopping 20mg of Lipitor (cold turkey, not weaned,) I did experience an almost immediate reduction in the frequency, intensity and duration of the pain that was specific to statin use. I did two trials off and on, with recurrence each time. I’m now off two years out and still experiencing occasional pain ( bouts are are 2-3 months apart and much reduced in intensity.) It’s weird to me to take this long to completely go away, but that’s my experience. 
  • Posted

Hi Dave,

I am afraid two weeks is too little a time to know the difference. Look at it like this- your body has been taking the onslaught of a certain powerful chemical for years and suffered damages some of which might even be irreversible. It is unrealistic to expect quick fixes. Your metabolism, cell repairs and system dynamics will take time to rejuvenate and heal. Give yourself at least a month to start feeling some difference, though the process will take even longer as there is muscle damage too. The system repair will also depend on your general health indices, age and diet/exercise regime.

• Posted

I just stopped them, you don't need to wean yourself off them as there are no side effects. I noticed a vast difference in 24 hours but I suppose it depends on what the statins had caused, in my case they had turned me into one of the living dead, my brain and memory wouldn't work and I was having difficulty talking and walking. In 24 hours my brain cleared and I started to function normally again.

• Posted

Hi Dave - i was on 80 mg Lipitor for 2 years. Poisoned at a cellular level. Threw the doc and the drugs away 3 years ago. Just about back to my old self. It's a slow process. Hang in there. good luck.

• Posted

In my opinion two weeks is not enough. I believe my symptoms which eventually disappeared,which im 80 percent positive were caused by a 10 mg statin per day for 1 and a half years took a good 3 to 4 months to feel half way better,ans about 2 yrs to go away. Sad thing it cant be proved they caused it,but I had terrible symptoms,since stopping them. None.
  • Posted

Does anyone know why/how statins cause this tiredness? I can’t find anything on the Web.
    • Posted

It works to destroy your mitochondria and since it's synthetic so you can rest assured that it will do it a lot faster. My father was also on 10mg, had leg, neck and muscle pain after taking it for 3 years. But at one point he loss sensation in his right leg. He went to an orthopedic surgeon, did acupuncture, had physical therapy and yet no one was able to find the problem. But when he weaned off the statin, his neck, leg and muscle pain went away. His neck pain took a good 8 months to finally get rid of the pain. When you've been taking the statin for years, another doctor recommended he wean off to not shocked the body which can have an adverse effect. This is why he did it this way, and after (me)working in cardiology I couldn't agree more.

• Posted

I also stopped cold turkey,i believe if you google it,no need to wean off of them.
  • Posted

Yes, i went cold turkey too - off 80mgs Artorvastatin I had blindly taken for two years. Felt better within days. its' taken 3 years to get my health back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.