Statins : significant under reported side effects

Posted , 9 users are following.

My husband had been on statins for some years and gradually his feet became numb to the point where he could not drive. I am a (retired) medical biochemist and I started to look into the drug and its side effects and discovered that it blocked the formation of cholesterol but also CoQ10 which is essential for muscle activity. We added CoQ10 to his medication without much immediate effect. He then developed gout and searching through the medical literature I found many reported cases of gout in patients on statins.  By this time he had developed atrial fibrillation and the cardiologist was very keen to keep him on statins although his cholesterol at this point was  3.5 and he was aged 76.  Further searching of the literature found reports of mortality rates of patients over the age of 75 with low cholesterols. Fortunately he had kept records of his cholesterol levels and his symptoms over the years (he is a research engineer by training) and decided to come off the statins.  His gout disappeared immediately,  the numb feet (peripheral neuropathy) are improving with acupuncture treatment and Vit B6 and his only problem now is recovering from the side effects of Amiodarone which was prescribied for his atrial fibrillation.   Ann W3

2 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for your post as your husband's experience is similar to my own. I'm 79 years old and have been on various statins for about 10 years but not any more. I had muscle/joint pain with all the statins I've taken over that period. I developed PAFib shortly after startng BP medication again about 10 years ago and found that practically all BP meds had palpitations as a side effect that doctors both GP and Cardiac ignored and continue to ignore. I do not take any meds for my PAFib, was on Sotalol but the only thing this did was to lower my pulse rate to scary levels.

I was particularly interested in your mention of peripheral neuropathy as I developed this about 2 years ago and also suffer the dreaded numb feet. So far lots of tests and diagnoses but as yet no treatment. I found a lot of info. on peripheral neuropathy on the Cleveland Clinic website and one of the meds. mentioned as a possible cause was statins. When I discussed this with my consultant she discounted it straight away. In the absence of any treatment so far I will give acupuncture a try and possibly Vit B6.

Thanks again

• Posted

Correction. I take 5mg Warfarin for PAFib.
    • Posted

My husband has had very good results from his acupuncture therapist -  she describes herself as practising Traditional Acupuncture.  I hope you can find a good one locally  - https://www.acupuncture.org.uk/ might be a good place to start.

The vit B he uses is Vit B Complex which is a mixture of all the B vitamins.  This was recommended by the neurologist he went to see but who said he could not help until my husband got much worse!!!

Good luck!

• Posted

Warfarin gave me joint pains the twice I was prescribed it.
  • Posted

I have submitte a Yellow Card myself.
    • Posted

It will be interesting to see the response that you get.
    • Posted

Yes, it will be fun; I am in 'warrior' mode now.twisted
    • Posted

You sound NEARLY as bad as me. I get stuck into them all. Hospital managements, Consultants, Drug manufacturers, company CEO's, MP's.

With the internet you can find anyone. I even found the direct line number for the BT Chairman but did not get beyond his PA. I once proved to the Halifax that they had ovecharged my mortgage interest one year and to my ISA provider that their way of calculating interest on Free Cash had been wrong.  They actually repaid all people affected.   

• Posted

My dear Ann... I am so sorry I did not get this report until this morning and believe me I have complete sympathy with your husband.....and fully appreciate what you have gone through.  

I truly believe that nobody fully realises how awful the side-effects of these statins really are...until they are faced with sometimes progressive and irreversible symptoms.

I have a very good friend who has peripheral neuropathy such as you describe and she is in agony especially at night  - so I am very interested therefore in your acupuncture treatment.

She already takes vitamin B6 and Ubiquinol the refined form (which is suppose the more accessible to the system) of Coenzyme Q 10.   She is in actual fact attending the pain clinic and her neurologist again this week as her neuropathy has now extended halfway up her calves despite her stopping the statins six months ago.

In my own instance I have developed "total motor block" as a result of being on statins for just six months - some two years ago believe it or not.  My neurologists of course do not want to know about the connection with statins... But my orthopaedic surgeon informs me and I believe him sadly  - that my not unknown -  but very rare side-effect is both progressive and irreversible and indeed I have just ordered myself a powered mobility chair - so I may continue to "walk" my dogs - something I could do without any problems 3 miles a day before breakfast every day prior to going on the statins.  So far around the house I manage - principally because I have a cluttered cottage  - LOL - with so much furniture I can hang onto everything as I progress - ever more slowly.!!

I look as though I have the "freezing of gait" syndrome associated with Parkinson's disease but I do NOT have Parkinson's disease - TG.   However any medication which has been tried with me has proved totally useless but of course I was warned -  when I complained that I was not improving after many weeks of trial - that the success rate is very poor in such cases as mine.

I will be very interested to learn how  your husband progresses and sincerely trust that the coenzyme 10 therapy will help him -  as well of course as his acupuncture.

Thank you so much for posting..... And one of these days as I am so prone to saying on this forum "Big Pharma" will be held to account - eventually, when it is realised that these statins are seriously dangerous drugs.... with profound side-effects.

• Posted

We can only hope it happens faster than was the case with tobacco!
  • Posted

Hmm interesting. Just developed gout after 18 years on statins following a heart attack and bypass in 1998 but have noticed numb feet for some time. Will drop them for a few days and see what happens. My foot circulation definitely needs improvement at 75. I had an operation to cure

My atrial fibrulation at same time as my bypass but they gave me amiodorone for a short while after my operation to settle my heartbeat and it nearly killed me.

• Posted

Very interesting. I Wonder what all of us are supposed to do if we have high cholesterol some dangerously High but we can't take cholesterol meds. I'm 55 years old and in great shape but hereditary got in my way . My cholesterol is 2.9 and I cannot take cholesterol medication because of constant pain in my calves at rest and this cause me to not be able to sleep at night. So then I'm up worrying well if I get off cholesterol medication then what do I do just wait for a heart attack or stroke? I tried the red yeast extract and since it had Statin in it even at a small level I had the problem still. I speak for all people that cannot take statins what are we supposed to do just wait and die early?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.