Statins The Culprit?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Many here are still tired with normal thyroid levels. Has anyone found that statins, given to lower cholesterol, are implicated?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My dad took statins but not thyroxine, he found they made him lethargic and had aches and pains. So if they do this without the thyroxine then it stands to reason they can while taking it.
  • Posted

Thanks both. So when the statins were stopped, did the tiredness improve?
    • Posted

Dave, all those heart and BP meds have huge side effects. When I got my mother off these meds, her health improved drastically. She went from being on her deathbed on hospice to having a lot more energy, pep and cognition.

Read the side effects on the manufacturer’s site. That will give you a good sense of the typical complications caused by your meds.

Also, blood pressure medications could cause complications if you go off them too fast. Check and see if there’s a statins group (here) to see what people do for going off these types of drugs.

• Posted

I took statins. what I noticed mostly was that I had severe dry mouth and trouble sleeping because the dry mouth kept waking me up.  My lips and teeth go stuck together and I had to drink something, difficult to do with everything stuck together.... in order to get them apart.   I kept asking doctor, dentist, etc.. what the problem could be...they didn't have a clue.  Finally asked my chiropractor and he asked what drugs I was taking. I gave him a list and he said to research the statin drugs.. there it was in the first side effect... dry mouth.  I stopped and 3 days later no more dry mouth.  I can't say that i've noticed anything relating to thyroid as a result of taking the drug.  Now I have no thyroid... still not sure if the extreme fatigue I'm having is related to the hormone levels..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.