Statistically...

Posted , 4 users are following.

...what are the odds of a male, in his 20's, having Fibromyalgia? Now, I know statistics can be a little ropey, and a question like this is hard to answer... but I am just looking for a rough estimate/ball park figure.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

David, I would say it really depends on a lot of factors, previous trauma history, symptoms, current issues, ruling out other possible causes

But I would give a really rough guess and say if you have at least 8-10 Fibro symptoms then 25% chance you have it

I'm 38 and I was diagnosed last October

• Posted

Thanks for replying, Paul. I honestly don't think I have Fibromyalgia, but my doctor threw it into the hat during our last brainstorming session. I have little ningly pains, especially in my forearms, wrists and fingers, but the pain isn't even really that intense - like, if I had to rate it out of 10, with '1' being not painful and '10' being SEND HELP NOW, I'd say my discomfort is about a 2-3, and even then it's not with me all the time, there can be long periods of time were I am perfectly fine. I do have a bit of fatigue and do seem to be tired quite a bit. I can also be a little anxious from time to time, and sometimes experience some mild tummy problems.

• Posted

Hi David, Just reading this, and agree with top comment in terms of the symptoms. However I was diagnosed by my physiotherapist, who then had to have an orthopaedic surgeon confirm it, whilst from all the research I have read I fit perfectly into that condition, however you may also read there is no definitive reason why someone might get it and what definitive treatment is reading. My feeling is it's because no-one knows. Medical professionals don't know how to help us so say it's fibromyalgia. I had a locum tell me it's in my head, if I don't think about it the pain is not there. Whilst I appreciate alternative methods, I know it's not in my head. Sorry I just whinged. I recently got diagnosed and struggling. What advice did doc give you to manage pain?

• Posted

You don't have to apologise, Oompa. Sometimes, we need a good winge, in order to keep us from going crazy. Do you mind if I ask, first, how old you are? And what symptoms you are currently experiencing?

• Posted

I'm actually 38, I work full-time and actually don't want to go in any more because of the stresses. I have excruciating back pain, but go to work, I noticed I spent the day shopping normally I just can't walk for more than 15 mins without the aggravated pain but I now feel a burning sensation in my lower back. I have shoulder and neck pain. My elbows, my knees. I'm always tired, don't sleep well, mood is all over the place. I sometimes think what if I take too many pills, I'm that fed up, and work does not help! I have started to experience other things but don't know if it's related. Sorry I've done it again, gone on and on.

• Posted

You have nothing to apologise for, Oompa, especially so soon after your diagnosis. Whatever you need to get off your chest, by all means. I am more than happy to listen.
  • Posted

Hi David. I will start by saying. If doctors don't have evidence of the pain it's fibromyalgia. You can get a second opinion if you disagree. Ask for a referral to a rheumatologist. There is a tender point test that is done to see if you meet the criteria of fibromyalgia. Everybody experience fibromyalgia differently. After I got married in 2007 if had pain in my hips, back, knees, neck. I had the pain for about 3 months than it went away.I was 28 at the time. In Sept 2014 I started to have pain again all over and I was very weak, had horrible migraines that sent me to the ER. I experienced this for pain all over almost a year before diagnosed with fibromyalgia. What I experienced in 2007 was similar but my symptoms and area of pain increased. I have been in high levels of pain 24/7 with no relief from therapy, injections, or medication. I am 37 now. If you are interested in my current systems you can read my feed. I have many going on I have to go to University of Michigan Neurology. Again you can always get a second opinion. I hope this helps.

• Posted

That's the thing, though, Kikirae, the discomfort/burning sensation I experience, it isn't really even that painful, it's more... nagging/uncomfortable. I definitely wouldn't consider it high level at all. I am going to make an appointment with my doctor, to find out once and for all. Originally, when I sent to see him last, he was the one that first mentioned Fibromyalgia, so I am happy that he is at least aware of what it is, as a former doctor of mine claimed to have never heard of it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.