Stay away from Tramadol!

Posted , 28 users are following.

Last Friday (16/Sep/11) I had an op to repair an umbilical hernia (overnight stay). On being discharged the nurse gave me a packet of 50mg Tramadol capsules to ease the pain, although the pain wasn't that bad. I had been walking to the toilet (in hospital) within 4 hours of recovering from the op.

Anyway, I got home on Saturday and what with the fairly long walk from the hospital to the taxi, plus getting in and out of the car, I was starting to feel some twinges, so I took 2 Tramadol. Much later that evening I started to have really weird side effects. They are so difficult to describe. A combination of panic attack, dizziness, extreme fatigue, and difficulty nodding off to sleep. I'd nod off, like one does, then I'd immediately have these images in my head - people I'd seen on TV that day, cars, animals, all jumbled up.

Then I must have fallen asleep for an hour or two only to come awake with a start after having this veritable nightmare of there being someone in the room and when I opened my eyes (in my sleep just before coming awake) there was this extremely tall guy, 9 feet tall, his head was literally brushing the ceiling. Then \"he\" walked across the room to another bed (my mind thought it was still in the 4-bed unit in the hospital ward) and disappeared! As if in a puff of smoke. And at that point I awoke feeling hot and sweaty.

So those were the last Tramadol *I* was ever going to take, I can tell you. And then, yesterday, Thursday I had severe itching at the surgical wound site. This had nothing to do with the Tramadol I'd taken on Saturday, which must have been out of my system by then. Anyway, apart from the itching there was still a bit of an ache, so I thought I'd take just a single Tramadol capsule.

The itching went; the dull ache went. But this morning, very early, about 04:00am, I awoke feeling anything but refreshed. I had some numb feelings in my hand and thigh, they kept coming and going. I got up at around 05:45am, make a cup of tea, then suddenly felt very weak. Jittery, fast pulse, zonked. Since then I have just lain on my bed in between going for a short walk and am drinking glasses of water in an attempt to flush this [b:095f76e716]POISON[/b:095f76e716] out of my system and am starting to feel a little better.

Earlier in the week on doctor's recommendation I booked an appointment with the nurse for this afternoon to have the dressing changed and the incision checked (it's a long, vertical cut about 4 inches long; they found

two hernias), and in order to save on taxi fares I booked one of the free pick-up buses to take me and bring me back. However, I've just cancelled them and have ordered a taxi instead as I cannot face the lengthy zig-zag route these buses often take as they have to pick up numerous other people. I'll talk to the nurse about Tramadol and see what she says. I don't need any pain killers now and if I still get one or two twinges in the next few days, I shall take only paracetamol if necessary. (Not allowed to take ibuprofen or similar NSAIDs as I have a tendency to gastritis and duodenal ulcer.)

So, I am never going to touch Tramadol ever again and this time I mean it. I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. If some people take it just to get \"high\" they must be stark, raving mad.

5 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My wife who had empasemia before she died was put on these  things she started seeing people and things that wernt there took us ages to find out what it was ,she was walking around the hospital in middle of the night .terrible things I took one once and gave me a panic attack. Dump them forever 
    • Posted

Just wondering what level you started on.  I think the lowest dose is 50mg a day.  If a person starts low and gradually increases the dose the chance of unwanted side effects are usually less.
  • Posted

hi there . i am 68 and have been on Tramadole for about 7 years at 50mg

i suffer from heavy severe day time sleep and i am blaming it on to Tramadole

They have referred me to the respiratory and sleep clinics here but i have a very strong feeling it is Tramadole

i am taking Panadole in the mean time till i see mr DR next week. and ask for some other pain pill. i can haveI am having  a hip rep[acement as well next few months

any more ideas that this causes the heavy day time sleep?

Many thanks

Peter

• Posted

Look at your regular dosing schedule, and how it relates to your somnolent episodes. Is there a correlation? Do you get sleepy at the same time every day,in relation to the medication?

After you figure all that out, present the information to your doctor in a neat little package. (After you tell us, of course!) cheesygrin

• Posted

It is definatly random such as when i take the tramadole i have aslo lost 30 k of weight through fusromide at 500 mg each day when i wake up i have lost 30 kilos in weight since Ausust .The sleep can last 5 m 30m some times a few hours. can happen several times diuring day can be morning can be afternoon.

I yake two sleeping pills at night other wise i can not get to sleep.

That is about it i think. Has been a real waist of life/time etc things have had to be done in betweeen sleep liike shopping etc  no going out at all. and yes if nice weather i have a hour's walk each day some tiime

ok thank you

oeter

• Posted

If you are experiencing sudden, overwhelming urges to sleep, it could be narcolepsy. The inability to fall asleep at night is also a symptom. Do you ever have sudden episodes of muscle weakness?
    • Posted

some times in the arm pits My DR has mentioned that  name , but seems no cure they are referring me to the respiratory dept. here as well as the sleep clinic  i have done some internet research on that name as well.

I am now 2 dyas  in to no tramadole taking pandadole instead but have been on that stuff for about 5 years , so guess it will take a while

many thanks peter

• Edited

Lucky escape. You're quite right avoid at all costs. 

Be well 

Steph 

• Posted

many thanks Now my DR has said just take 2 at nights for the pain!!!!!!!!!GRRRRR   laughs well there we areIt was a hospital as well that started me on these tramadole Having a hip replacement in a month what is the bet they will send me home with tramadole

many thanks

eevery one

Peter

• Edited

Tell them you don't want it. They can't force you to have trammadol. Tell them you've had a bad experience with it before and you'd rather have something else. 

There are lots of alternatives. I had my hip done 7 wks ago. I was already on trammadol and buprenorphine and I have to say getting off the drugs was much harder than the recovery from surgery. But here I am completely drug free after a lot of unpleasantness and sometimes desperate moments. 

So there's light at end of your tunnel. Stick with it and it'll all work out. 

Good do luck with your op 

Be well 

Stephanie

• Posted

how was the oain factor when you had the hip replacement  ?> Thanks for advice

Peter

• Posted

Hi peter. 

I was in a lot of pain pre op. I had avascular necrosis and it's bloody painful, hence I was already on mega pain meds. Post op the first 24 hrs were only sore on movement but then it got out of hand and they had to give me OxyContin. However when they let me out 4 days post op I was pretty comfortable on my previous dose of 200mg tramadol SR twice a day plus 10mcg buprenorphine patches weekly and long acting brufen. The post op pain diminished rapidly about 2weeks and just a bruised ache. So I weaned off and now I'm doing great. 

Have to dash off now. Hope this helps. More later! 

Be well 

Stephanie x

• Posted

many thanks stepahany  dr said out of 0-10 pain will be about 4

cheers and thanks

peter

• Posted

Sorry had to cut short earlier. My 11yr old had 3 gigs today so had to rush around to each one. As you can guess my life is very much returning to normal and I rarely take anything for discomfort now. A couple of paracetamol and/or some brufen maybe once or twice a week is about all. My post op discomfort is minimal and had been for oh about 2-3 weeks now. I do get a bit of back ache but that's normal after hip surgery. The best advice I can offer is get over the initial recovery phase say 4 weeks before you consider weaning because if you've got pain then you won't recover as fast because you can't mobilise as much as you should and neither can you do your physio properly. 

Once you feel your on the right track surgery recovery wise then talk to you GP about weaning and do it slowly. Hip recovery is hard but it's harder if you're trying to battle withdrawal too. It's taken me about a month in total to get off all the opiates and I promise you it feels bloody fantastic. 

I'm mobile, almost free of walking aids, I walk about 5-7k every day, I still do all my physio plus a few extras I found online and I've started yoga to try to regain some flexibility.

I'm happy with my progress bow and looking back I realise it was hard and I thought I would never get through it but I have and I'm happier and stronger than before. 

Good luck with your surgery. Keep us posted. 

Be well.  

Stephanie x

• Posted

hi Stephanie  thanks for that. i am still waiting for thhe hospital to give me a date 2 months later. i have 3 people telling me not to have it done as i have a 60-40 and a 70-30 chance of dying on the table i have a annesthetic Dr saying the Respiratory dr is wrong with his warning on my file not to operate on me as my heart will not survive, that guy is writing to hom asking him to remove it as he thinks he is wrong my daughter wife and one of my brothers do not want me to do it as i have a enlarged heart. the heart peole are willing for me to have it done. the senior surgeon refused ti operate and referred me to a juniot colleage of his who is the one willing to do the op the senior one is due to retire soon and my own dr said he would not want a blemish on his record if i did die!!!! and the younger guy would make a name for him self i am waiting and when i get the date i will have to decide smartly  will let you know

cheers and thanks peter you are doing very well by the sound of things so well done i also get sore back and the other hip needs doing as well

roll the clock back to the mid 1980's i say laughs cheers for now and thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.