Stay hopeful, this too shall pass

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi frozen shoulder family, first I want to thank each and every one of you who have contributed in this forum.  Your words have helped me through some of the darkest times I can remember, both through the sharing of your experiences and helpful tips, and by helping me to feel not so alone.

I have two frozen shoulders right now, the left is 11 months in and the right is about 2 months in.  I will tell you that my left shoulder went through the excruciatingly painful freezing stage and the frozen stage, and is now in the thawing stage.  Most of the pain has gone and I am slowly regaining my ROM.  The right shoulder has been even more painful than the left and is solidly in the freezing stage, with pain all the way from my neck to my fingers.  In my moments of despair I force myself to remember that it does get better, and that I am already experiencing the beginnings of my return to normal with my left shoulder.

Whatever you choose to do or not to do, I respect your decision, as only each of us can know what is the right path for us.  After my diagnosis from my ortho, and after exhaustive research (much of it starting with reading each and every post in this forum) I have chosen to forego any outside treatments at all.  Instead I have utilized many of the methods that you have tried, from ice/heat, TENS, being faithful with my bio-identical hormone creams, very very very slow and gentle self-massage including trigger point, ultrasound with gel and Cats Claw, topical essential oils, and some herbal anti-inflammatory and pain remedies, with the occasional tylenol or aspirin if absolutely necessary. (I am scared of opiates so no pain pills for me.)  My herbals manage the pain fairly well, or at least take the edge off.

This morning I had a FaceTime with my PT in Florida (I am now living in Utah.)  She encouraged me to be patient and gentle and not to push myself, or allow anyone else to push me past the point of pain. She encouraged me to continue to take my daily walks and to massage (including some gentle trigger point) my hands, arms, neck and shoulders and to gently move my head, neck, arms, hands, legs, feet etc. (not the extremely frozen shoulder yet) as all movement is good and helps the shoulders, even if not moving the shoulders themselves.

She relayed stories to me of her many, many patients (mostly women of some years - yes she believes there is a hormonal connection) who she is treating for other things, share with her that some years ago they had frozen shoulders and that they now have absolutely no pain and complete ROM.  Every one.  She told me to be gentle with myself and try to live my life the best I can and focus on the good things.  She said to do anything that feels good and to not do anything that doesn't feel good.  She reassured me that this too indeed shall pass.

I am feeling hopeful today so I thought what better time to start this discussion (my first)?  I wanted to give back to you all who have helped me so much here by sharing your stories, with this message of hope.

I'm holding the vision of the complete return to pain-free, flexible and perfectly healthy shoulders (arms, necks etc.) for all of us!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am in my 7Th month with frozen shoulder-I appreciate all that are sharing their stories-it means a lot.This is just so depressing  and I do my best to stay positive.I know one thing without ice packs I would never make it-they save me-especially at night when the pain worsens.I would love to hear from someone that has went through this and is now totally healed-sometimes it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.I think is it ever gonna be over and I tell myself Yes with at the same time having doubts. My orthopedic Dr does his best to keep me positive.thanks to all for listening and I pray for healing for all!

• Posted

Judy, there are some people on this forum who have fully recovered.  Although there are tons of posts, why don't you scroll through some to see if you can find someone who has.  I have recovered a great deal in my left shoulder, almost no pain at all and my range of motion is improving all the time.  That one is in its 11th month and although everyone is different, maybe yours will be over soon. So glad you have a supportive doctor, that's important!

• Posted

Judy, I also thought of one blog where the woman fully recovered from FS in about 18 months and shares her story.  It was inspiring to me.  I can't post the link here but you can google it.  it's called My Frozen Shoulder Story and it's dot blogspot dot com.  Hope that helps!

• Posted

Hi there i am almost 3 years in to this awful condition. I'm pleased to report I am pain free , my right arm has fully recovered and my left is almost there. I didn't have any trigger point therapy the second time around but it was a turning point on the first; I just stuck to my heat pad; tens machine and paracetamol/ibuprofen, and a more positive attitude; knowing that there would be an end. Unlike the first time when you feel like the pain will last forever!!

All I can advise is obviously from my point of view. Everyone has to find their own way and what works for them. I was determined to do it as natural as possible, with no surgical input.

But I am proof that , it does pass ,that the movement does return . And living returns.

I strongly believe there is a hormonal/stress connection. Many on this site agreed but equally many declined this idea?

I have started to practice yoga now to try and rebuild strength as I had a lot of muscle wastage due to inactivity and I've changed my eating habits and I am now Vegan in an attempt to clear some toxins from my body.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thank You so much! I am encouraged to hear this.This patient discussion group really helps.I am so glad to hear you have made it through and are doing well. Wishing you many pain-free days.
  • Posted

I have now had second opinion and this ortho said MUA!  I am in frozen stage and pain has subsided a lot!  My biceps used to be so so painful but not so much at this point!  My arm still feels pretty useless and I kid that I look like Flipper!  So one doc said surgery instantly and one said MUA and after reading about later I am just going to let nature take its course and when it decides to thaw which hopefully will be soon, all will be good!!  It sure is a crazy disease!!!!
    • Posted

Debbie, I'm so glad to hear that your pain has subsided a lot, it's rough getting through that freezing stage for sure!  Good for you doing your research and making the choice you feel is best for you. I think patience is one of our greatest allies during this time. That and others who truly understand this "crazy disease" and who support each other.  I'm holding the vision that all of our frozen shoulders are a distant memory soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.