Std test reliabilty/accuracy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back 4 years ago I recieved very brief unprotected oral from a sex worker and then protected sex. i went and got tested 3 days later which was too early so then again at 2 weeks and again at 12 weeks. I had a blood test and urine test and everything came back negative. I'd completely pushed it out of my mind but for some reason the last couple of weeks I've started worrying about it again. ive had no symptoms at all but I'm feeling very anxious. Would you say that my test results during them windows are conclusive that I do not have anything? I just need a bit of reassurance from someone with a bit of knowledge on the matter.

many thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

did you have sex since then? if not your safe, 3month std test is NEGATIVE!!! do not worry.

• Posted

some things can be detected as early as a week to 16 weeks it can take some time for antibodies to build up in the blood

• Posted

yes been having sex since only with my partner. I think the worry is just due to the fact we've just got married and I just don't want to jeopardize anything! so would agree that I am fine if I had 2 tests at 2 weeks and 12 weeks and everythingcame back negative? I've just read things about false negatives happening?

• Posted

it depends what u are testing for herpes can take 16 weeks to appear in a blood test other things like chlamydia and gono show up in urine quite quickly

• Posted

I tested for everything, I know herpes said 16 weeks but havent had any symptoms of that. i read that 12 weeks is pretty conclusive for everything else though?

thanks for your replies too

• Posted

u dont need to have symptoms to have it it can lay dormant an pop up years down the line

• Posted

everything else should be ok at the 12 week mark so should be quite reliable

• Posted

yes I know herpes can be dormant for years but do you think the 12 week window is very accurate for reliable test results for everything else? thank you

• Posted

out of curiosity does anyone know the accuracy as a percentage. I read that the urine and blood test are both over 99% accurate when done at 2 weeks and 12 weeks. is this correct?

• Posted

nothings 100% accurate but they should be accurate at 12 weeks for most stds

• Posted

ok so just to clarify this is something I really shouldn't be worried about? the chances I've caught something and having a false negative are incredibly unlikely?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.