STD tests causing servere anxiety.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 

I would just like to say thank you in advance for any responses as I have visited A&E and been perscribed Diazapam to calm me down. 

Here is goes, I had protected sex with a person of unknown HIV status (this is Key to my soon to be breakdown) 

A day or 2 later I started to feel unusual sensations in my urethra.

I’ve had the following tests 

8 days later - Urine Test (negative) 

11 days - Swab (negative) 

12 days - Swab (negative) 

I am currently waiting for the following results. 

Days 11,12,14 X3 urine samples 

12 days HIV results.

It’s currently day 15 and my mind is broken, I can’t function and I’m terrified I have HIV (I realise how ridiculous this may sound) 

I am 90% sure the condom didn’t break. 

QUESTION (finally) 

- Having negative results at the corresponding times, how likely is that one of my further urine samples may be positive? 

Regards 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Thomas.  Try to relax  Your doing everything you can to make sure you don't have HIV.  Every test you have had came back Negative.  And you are sure that the condom did not break. ( 90 % ) You would have know right after you pulled out.  Finish the test and don't worry just be more careful  Take care  Ken 

• Posted

Thank you so much for the response, 

I don’t suppose you would know how often this would occur? (3 negatives before 14 days then a positive) 

The HIV worry is eating me alive, I’m on the verge of losing my job.

I feel like I’ve got every symptom in the book, I have put someone else at risk a couple of days after potential exposure and that’s my biggest worry, I can’t handle it. 

If I know that my urines sample have a good chance of being negative this may reassure me that I was infact protected -and they burning sensation may be soap from over washing etc.... 

Regards 

• Posted

Tom......Please you need to relax before you give yourself a heart attack.  You have had a lot of negative on the test.  Doctor are telling you that you are ok.  This is nothing to lose your Job over.  Please take it easy and calm down.   Like I said before you would have know if the condom broke.  The sperm would have been dripping all over.  I think your good to go but please make sure you are all way covered  Ken 
    • Posted

Thank you for the response Ken. 

I asked the doctor wether they would be doing the 10 day RNA test and she said yes.

I am going back at day 30 to retested, I’m living in a nightmare at the moment. 

• Posted

Tom   I think your fine but to make sure have it done and do everything the doctor tells you  Good luck  Ken
  • Posted

Non-condom break, protected intercourse is a no risk event for HIV. I assume that you would have seen the condom break as kenneth1955 said. The odds of catching HIV from penile to vagina sex are like 1 in 2500 according to the Center of Disease Control - assuming that the person was HIV+ to begin with and sex was unprotected. YOU WERE PROTECTED and good job for bagging yourself!

It sounds like you you are dealing with health anxiety. Anxiety will make you believe that you are sick and also give you symptoms of sickness. You really need to come to terms with the fact that you are likely okay. Anxiety can destroy your life.

You did not write what the urine tests are for but I am assuming typical bacterial infections for more common  STDs such as Chlamydia or Gonorrhea. Since they are clear at 2 weeks, I would not expect a different result from these tests. 

You do not test for HIV via a urine culture. HIV is a virus and tested via a blood tests that can be administered after 10 days (RNA tests which detect the virus) but typically 4th generation tests should be performed 4 weeks after exposure. 

It is totally possible that you could be in pain from washing your penis too much. There are even people who have used hand sanitizer down there and it really messed them up and caused urethritis or inflammation of the urethra. Also focusing on it will make it much worse.

• Posted

Steven thank you so much. 

I am going to pay for a 10+ days HIV test today. 

The anxiety is killing me and there is nothing I can do to calm me down unless I get negative HIV results in over 2 weeks time even then they are only 95% I don’t think that is going to be enough to satisfy me, I really can’t cope at the moment. 

• Posted

I understand that you are anxious and given the risk you indicated, I hope that you can realize that you should be okay. Testing and reconfirming is not a bad idea, but at some point you are going to have to except the test results and move on.

Is the 10+ day the RNA test? You may want to check on the window period to be sure with whoever is administering the test to you. I believe that many people will take the early detection test and then follow up later 4/6 weeks (or 12 weeks) with a 4th generation test - depending on testing guidelines. In the US I have read that it is 6 weeks.

• Posted

Thanks for the response. Steven

I am struggling at the moment, i asked the doctor wether my test is the 10 day Post exposure test results and she said yes. 

My biggest worry is that if i can get accept the following possibilities.

0.02% - heterosexual woman with HIV in UK

0.01% protected exposure resulting in transmission

95/97% success rate of condoms. 

All coming together resulting in exposure. 

How am I going to except the reliability of a 95% success rate test? 

The doctor says is 99.7% reliable after 4 weeks but i have read it’s 95%. 

Thank you 

• Posted

I don't know the rapid test statistics, but the Gen 4 antibody / antigen test is indicated to be around that reliability level at 4 weeks and +99% at 6 weeks. There is no 100% test - but if you have test multiple tests confirming negative, its conclusive. 

Hang in there and don't struggle with this. You are going to be okay. 

• Posted

Thank you steven, I am having good days and bad days. 

I believe I have read that you posted elsewhere in the forums that you have had a scare including dry mouth

Did this include waking up with a dry throat throughout the night? Forgive me if I have made a mistake  it was not your account that posted this.

Regards

• Posted

.. not exactly the same, but somewhat correct. i was very concerned that i had / have something wrong and it lead to tremendous health related anxiety. the anxiety really messed me up. i am confident that the dry mouth was from a nasal spray that i was taking and anxiety. it has resolved. 
    • Posted

Thank you Steven, this anxiety I’m experiencing is debilitating, I wake up in the morning open up a map and drive ends and back just so I’m not alone in the house. 

I think you are a saint including others who reply on this forum taking time out your day to help others. 

• Posted

hang in there. your risk was low and at some point you will realize all is okay. it takes a while and perhaps you should maybe talk to a counselor. i should have taken my own advice about this as i think it would have helped my anxiety resolve sooner. i appreciate the thanks. 

You should be at 21 days at this point, so maybe you can take a 4th gen test in a week to set your mind at ease (draw blood from a vein). 

• Posted

Hi mate, 

Thank you, I’m 27 days right now, I have had a 23 days test (negative) and getting another one on Monday 30 days.

I just hope my immunosuppressant drugs don’t effect the results at some point I’m going to have to let it go if it’s negative, I’m going to lose everything. 

Steven I don’t even know you, but your one of the few people that has kept me remotely sane over the last couple of weeks and I’m grateful. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.