Steam or sauna after TKR - safe?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm 6 weeks post TKR and have had hydrotherapy a week age. I'm going to my local pool tomorrow which has a steam room which I loved before I had the surgery. Is it still safe to sit in the steam room or the sauna after Total knee replacement. I was thinking as the new knee is metal - is there a danger of burning it?!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

dont take any chances rosie ! call the doc and put your mind at rest ...I'm sure it will be fine but best to be safe than sorry !
  • Posted

Hi Rosie, I'm 16 wks post left tkr and went back to the pool at about 10 wks. Just did gentle exercises then went in sauna just for a few mins. Now i go in the sauna without thinking but am sensible about the time I spend in there. I've had no adverse effects at all, I was just a bit nervous. Take a walking stick to the pool as the edges can be very slippy. Enjoy x
  • Posted

Whether to use steam or sauna is a personal preference.  I personally like the steam room.  The heat does not affect your joint, does not make it overheat, or burn you inside or out. The same goes for saunas. Go for it and enjoy.  The one discomfort you may expereince is being in a non-heated swimming pool, the coldness may feel as if your joint seizes.  Also although you may be told to avoid swimming, exercising the in water is great as there is no weight bearing + working against the pressure of the (warm) water is good, just be careful not to over exercise.
  • Posted

Hi all, Thanks for all your replies about steam rooms. I did go Friday which was exactly 6 weeks after TKR. It was wonderful. My friend who was going to come with me let me down but I went anyway. Went in the kids pool which is warmer and got the (very handsome) life guard to help me out and walk me to the jacuzzi and finally after a cold shower went for about 5 mins into the steam room. Didn't want to overdo it. Will now be going regularly as the exercising is much easier in the pool than on land. xx
    • Posted

Way to go, long may you keep on improving (and enjoying the steam room, sometimes it is nice being by yourself)
  • Posted

Hi Rosie Im on my 8 weeks pkr, how come when I went to sauna & steam room my knee got swollen. In regards to swimming pool im still being paranoid on getting infections.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.