Steatorrhea, slightly raised amylase level and worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello,

mega worried currently

had fatty stools for a while now, the colour is normal and sometimes my stools are ok, but most of the time they float, theres an oil slick on the top of the water and they smell very bad.

had blood tests, full blood count, liver and kidney function all good, im not anemic, i dont have celiac disease. im not losing weigh, i dont feel any stomach pain, only after eating spicy food the next day. but my amylase level is slightly raised, the first test was 116 and the second test was 113, the normal range for my tests end at 110 so im currently boarderline so i need another amylase test.

my GP has refered me to a gastroenterologist on a non urgent appointment, which is in july.

obviously the suspect is something pancreas related and im terrified its something like cancer.

also as far as i know im not diabetic.

just really want to know why my body is havig trouble with fats? also my bowels are fine and stool samples didnt know any bowel imflammation.

has anyone ever had similar symptoms?

thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

Ive been through this for the past year nearly.

I have fatty stool which was confirmed from a feceal fat test, its yellow/orange and tends to floot/sticky. Had numerous blood tests which for the most part were normal (high iron and LFT) but have been normal the last 2 times i got bloods done. I have had a elastace stool test to check for pancreatic issues which was normal and a CT and Ultra sound scan. Been through a colonoscopy and Gastrocopy which showed nothing either.

I done some other liver tests especially bilirubin ones as im worried about pancreatic cancer due to my steatorreha and urine color but those are in the normal range. This has been going on since May last year and im no further forward

• Posted

scottio, what's the problem about your urine? what's the color in a daily basis?

• Posted

dark yellow to orange everyday. Had a urine culture and billirubin tests on it but all normal. I drink about 2 litres of water everyday not including tea and soft drinks

• Posted

A repeat amylase test will tell your doctor more. Since you are worrying, ask for the appointment to be brought forward. It doesn't seem that your doctor is concerned because he has referred you for a non urgent appointment. If he was concerned, you would have been referred for a non urgent consultation. Take that as a good sign.

• Posted

thank you.

the last test showed borderline with improvement from the last one, im literally just over the normal level.

no the doctor hasnt given any indication that its serious, ive not had any calls direct from the doctor or had my hospital appointment made as urgent.

the doctor hasnt asked for another appointment just another blood test. as the doctor has referred me to the hospital now. im sure though if anything was worrying they would tell me and request my hospital appointment be sooner rather than later. as i said i dont feel unwell or in pain. but something is off with my guts.

• Posted

Having improvements in your tests, is still a very positive sign and so is the fact your doctor has not indicated that there is anything serious. You would definitely be told if there was.Try to stay as calm as possible; worry makes gut problems worse. Keep telling yourself you will get help.

• Posted

for reference im 29 about to turn 30.

• Posted

just awaiting 3rd test results after my second showed a decreased level of amylase at 113, down from 116, and the normal level is 110, so nervous, just want it to return to normal.

• Posted

Any updates?

I'm having the same thing.

I found taking metronidazole (for a gum infection) also happened to cure the symptoms for steathorrhea.

Metronidazole is also used for stomach problems which would explain why this went away.

Unfortunately, the steathorrhea started again a few months later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.