Stem cell

Posted , 4 users are following.

I successfully had THR Oct 30 2017

I eventually will need my other hip and possibly my knees replaced.

I'm trying to investigate the current status of stem cell therapy in lieu of jont replacement surgery.  I know that it is not approved by Medicare and my surgeon says there is only about a 50% success rate

Anyone with knowledge in this area, please respond

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I know someone who is going to see a consultant in Cambridge  to see  if  she is a suitable candidate for stem cell for her knee in October.
  • Posted

I did some looking into stem cell therapy in lieu of my TKR in Jan 2018....lots of different information out there so this one of those things I think that the buyer needs to beware.  

In the US not approved by Medicare or any of the major insurance companies I know of (I have Federal Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Tricare)

Not all doctors are good about really getting the stem cells out of you....I guess they said it is easy but there is still issues of how much the need and how much did they really get.  

In my case I had no more cartilage in my knee...from what I read/heard the stem cell "does better" (no clear idea what that means but I am an engineer and love numbers/facts and statics) when you have something for it to bond to like cartilage. 

I know I was hoping my knee would not get so bad that I would need the knee replacement before they got better data on the stem cell....didn't happen for me.   My knee got so bad I could not exercise at all and that I know for sure is the worse thing for your knee so I had the knee replacement and it is not perfect but it is better than my original  knee....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.