Stem Cell Recovery Forum: Arthritis and Cartilage Injections

Posted , 88 users are following.

A place for patients (and prospective patients) of Stem Cell procedures related to arthritis and cartilage building due to athletic injury, wear-and-tear and arthritis.

7 likes, 187 replies

187 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just as an update.  It's been almost three months and it looks like the stem cell procedure is not offering enough relief of pain.  She's had to start taking anti inflamatories again just to deal with the pain.  She was afraid of hip replacement, but now it's starting to seem like the best and only option.  
    • Posted

jeffharms. So sorry to hear this. I am taking stem cell procedure and like her (name?) I have resorted to NSAID's too. But tomorrow I start the stem cells in the other knee!! There's now in Switzerland a combination from regen of stem cells with hyaluronic acid, in one jab. So they are doing all they can to rush research through to help us.  I will do anything to avoid an operation altho hips are supposed to be excellent, it's not the same with knees. Few can walk down steps after such an intervention. Stem Cells can take over a year to have an effect so don't give up so soon. Give her my love.
  • Posted

Fact of the matter was, the stem cell procedure with Dr blecher in LA went fine, but they had no outpatient plan for my moms recovery. It was like take your money, here's the procedure and best of luck to you. 

I'd recommend it for the young and for athletes.  But my friend was not a proper candidate for it. Her femur xray looked like a tabletop    no amount ofnew cartilage will help that I suspect. I'm not a doctor, but it seemed clear that blecher was using the newness of the tech to justify working on our case.  

Just a pamphlet on how to walk after surgery would have helped.  They gave us NOTHING.  

• Posted

It was a waste of time and money and prolonged her pain.  

Should have gone straight for the tried and true hip replacement in a hospital where a system is set up to assist a person recover.  

Our long drive to and from LA in hopes of getting easy relief was soooo painful. And caused more damage.  

I say all this to whomever is considering alternatives when all the docs say hip replacement.  Do the hip replacement.  Stem cell isn't for bone yet.  Fix your body.  Don't be afraid. 

Also the hip replacement is less invasive these days.  There's a new style out.  Less cutting. Ask about it.  

• Posted

It's all a crapshoot jeff, I deal daily with the complications from the hip replacement, again surgeons do the job and you are left with what you are left with.....

Possible Infections, revisions, defective parts (lawsuits going on) shorter/longer legs, nerve damage (me)...it goes on and on....we take our chances when we do these too....believe me.

I "think" with these replacements many of us go downhill and I have a friend who suspects hip issues but replacement is just something she does not want to do.....

So there it is.....sorry the stem cells are not what you folks expected, I can't really afford the stem cells but keep thinking on the prolozone injections for my knee...

Pick your poison.......Joy

• Posted

I had the less cutting Anterior here in Santa Monica and HOPED my results would be what I was needing, and yes, the replacement is most likely ok, the anterior has less restrictions, I had a good recovery and rehab but do have nerve damage, IT band damage and shorter leg....BUT, many do have good outcomes with the Anterior....many surgeons int he US now do the anterior and many still stick with the original posterior.   good luck.   Joy

I tried and tried to not do a surgery, but groin was a crumbled mess of damage....no groin pain now.     

• Posted

Joy it is recognized in Europe that stem cells can take over a year to work. I think we get rather impatient and intense pain doesn't help in that respect. If you go to Google ask:  What happens after my hip replacement? You should find all you need to know. I know when my Mum had it in the UK she had to do exercises but never sideways movements with the leg. They helped her up and down stairs until she could manage on her own. Imagine my annoyance when she arranged for her aged friend to pick her up in her sports car!!!  The leg must not move sideways so get into the car i the back if it is easier and without the sideways movement to get inside it. From what I hear on here, many are dissatisfied in spite of us being told the hip ops are now 100% successful. I rather follow my uncle who would say: I came into this world whole and I intend leaving it the same way.  Cheers!
    • Posted

sounds like she was either not properly evaluated or lead on a wild goose chase. Hips do not respond as well to stem cell treatment because of the type of cells that live in the hip joint. Plus if you are older with advanced arthrits you are a poor candidate and that should have been discussed.
    • Posted

I have to decide between traditional hip replacement surgery and this stem cell therapy and i keep hearing mixed reviews. I'm actually scared of both but need to do something so I can walk again and live without so much pain.  I'm too young to feel this old.
    • Posted

I am 52 years old and I am from Texas. Last year I had Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate, Adipose Derived Stromal Vascular Fraction and Platelet Rich Plasma Grafting injected into my hip joint. I paid $5,000. During my recovery, I followed all the recomendations my doctor gave me to ensure optimal healing. The pain subsided for the first months following the procedure, but after the 8th month I noticed the pain returning rapidly. I am again using the cane and reducing my trips to the grocery store.

I had an old childhood hip injury and in my opinion, the structures in my hip joint were just too damaged for the stem cell procedure to effectively repair the damage. 

The procedure itself was relatively painless. I was sedated locally. My doctor extracted bone marrow from my iliac bone. Fat was gathered from my belly area, and blood was taken from my arm. I would say the most uncomfortable part of the procedure was when the doctor injected the contents into my hip joint. The uncomfortable feeling is similar to having a steroid shot to the hip. 

In my view, I do not think I was a good candidate for this procedure because my initial injury had taken place so long ago. I would guess this procedure may be more effective for those with a recent injury.  

• Posted

good info All.  OK time for me to pony up.  63 and in pretty good shape going into my hip problems.  Reading more comments here, I am going to hope for the best yet as I am nearly finished with my shots.  I a hip replacement and as a matter of principle of safety, am trying stem cells.  I had a left hip replacement 2years ago at Rothman by one of the best, Hozak.  Went OK, as far as it goes, no glitches, 2mos recovery from operation, then hit with "nerve" pain.   Had anterior procedure, means stretching you to insert the joint with as small as possible incision, 6", not cutting the muscles laterally (in half).  Felt the nerve pain was the result and could have used hot tub therapy.  4mos, nerve pain diminishing, residual stiffness in some unusual lower limb and feet.  

I was looking forward to having 2 good legs.  Doctors said I was a candidate for a dual hip replacement but I was "asymptomatic" and thinking not if I can help it.  So about the 8mos mark on the hip, I stumbled out of a stuck elevator that stopped 8" high.  After limping around about a year, taking it easy and trying to heal it up, I kinda knew I wasn't getting better and found Atlantic Spine and Joint in Westmont NJ.  They were very encouraging and seems I did a good thing in being careful on the leg.  Got my cortisone shot, helped pretty quickly, then went into a series of partially covered (5) hyaluronic acid injections, week apart.  Doc said they take up to 6 weeks to max out on the benefits, but I was feeling better after about 2.  I could walk almost normally, a little fast too.  Pain level could be noticeable after a bit of activity.  Joint felt loose. 

Went into Stem cell/PRP combo treatment series, 1 stem cell and PRP mixed together, followed by 2 PRPs 1 mo. apart.   Doc likes to say, the stem cells are the seeds and the PRP shots are the fertilizer.  After the inflamation from the shot cleared up I started feeling stronger.  But then I stumbled on my front step, and I had another 2 weeks of pain like right after the elevator incident.  But I seemed to be getting better again.  Recovery from the first PRP shot may have taken longer or the reinury was acting up.  But after reading comments here, it is said there is a 2mo. recovery from PRP inflammation.  That has given me hope as I go for my third shot next week.  Doc said 3mos. after I would feel the most benefits.  And I guess it give me hope too and my docs have said, stem cell improvement can go on for a year.  This past month I have started doing yard work, and have had some good results on lower pain and fast recovery, doing sometimes over 3mi. a day on the pedometer.  But still get som level 4 stuff  with each step when I overdo it.  Coming back fast though. and time left to "clean up" from the PRP.

hopeful, Joe

• Posted

I have had extensive cutting edge stem cell treatment in Boca Raton, Fla. Do not be afraid of stem cell treatments.  It worked in all cases and I am not a youngster.   Google stem cell treatment and Boca Raton and you will find my doctor most likely.  Teaches it all over the world and worth the money.
    • Posted

Hi! I had stem cell therapy in both hips one month ago! Doing very well and I feel the pain is less than before....ehst do you mean by the "clean up period". I have seen this often in the blogs but I don't know,what this means?

Thanks!

• Posted

HI Molly,

The shots cause inflammation and take about 3 days to go away.  NO NSAIDS, will interfere with stem cells.

I am about 5 mos into it , expect the a strong point in the recovery to be about 6 mos.  Had a bad period of exertion where i am feeling weaker than I expected.  Doctor says could get continued improvement for up to a year after...  Hopin' & prayin'

• Posted

Hi, my husband is planning to have stem cell + PRP procedure for his knee. I have google stem cell treatment, Boca Raton but can't get more reviews. Is it alright to share your Doctor's name?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.