Stem Cell Replacement instead of TKR?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have any of you tried Stem Cell Replacement instead of a TKR or for a torn meniscus? I have several friends that are seriously looking into this for a treatment. I don't think insurance covers it either.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know that a doc talked to me about this procedure for a ripped off femoral condyle cartilage back in 2001...don't know how far it's progressed.  Also, at that time, it was not recommended for people over 50 so I didn't qualify anyway.  Don't know the state of the technology now.  I've had two torn menisci (one each knee) scoped and repaired years ago.  On my feet in a few days.  Why stem cells instead of a simple repair?

• Posted

You are correct, insurance at least in the States does not pay for it as it is considered to be experimental According to one of my orthopedic doctors when I had asked about it, it's very costly about $3,000 per "injection" of which they do 3 and there is only a 50/50 chance of it working.

• Posted

For a tear in the meniscis - arthroscopy.  It's a fairly minor op and recovery is quick. I'm actually surprised that it's been suggested instead of a TKR.  I think a lot of us started out years ago with an arthroscopy, not a TKR. It usually get people through the first 5 or so years too delay a TKR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.