Stem cell therapy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good afternoon!

Recently I have been referred by a podiatrist for cold laser therapy, haven't booked an appointment yet but I am planning on it soon.

I was just told about stem cell therapy, and have never heard of it or looked into it.

I was just wondering if anybody on this site had had either procedure done on their ankle, or knows any information on either of them.

I am looking for further procedures to help with my ankle, as it has now been 15 months since my injury and have already had a surgery done on my ankle and still having problems.

Thank you to anyone who has any advice!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matthew,

You don't say what your injury is, but I have a post explaining mine.

I have never heard of this, but would be very interested in whatever others' have to say.  I'm going to look this up and see what it is all about.

I wish you all the best in your recovery!

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to mention my injury.

I had a non union in my medial malleolus and had a screw put into my ankle. As well I was told that I have stretched tendons on the other side of my foot.

Hoping I can find something to try fix my ankle or relieve some pain.

And same to you, hopefully you find something to help your recovery!

• Posted

Hey Matthew,

I am so heartened by your awareness and willingness to try new promising procedures instead of just riding the usual ankle patient carousel of repeated remedial surgeries (with inconsistent success).

During my slow recovery from PTTD in right ankle, I briefly considered PRP (platelet rich plasma) injection treatment for that condition. I did some research on it, and decided to be conservative and wait first. I healed pretty well anyway and didn't resort to it. Mainly I was leery of someone sticking sharp thick needles deep into my ankle-- that thought gave me the willies.

PRP has had reported successes in treating ankle ligament and tendon injuries, but is jury is still out on how effective it is overall. Stem cell treatment of injuries is very promising and could be possibly wave of the future for treating ankle injuries and hopefully cutting down (sorry for pun) on surgical interventions. Time will tell.

Also shockwave therapy, PEMF, and electroceuticals have shown some promise as modalities, but they are not mainstream yet unfortunately (that doesn't mean you can't try them).

Cold laser and red/infrared light therapy look to be big winners too in ankle injury treatments, but more as adjunctive treatments than main treatments. But every little safe intervention you can add to your treatment regimen gives an advantage in the healing game. You sound like you are playing for keeps.

You might also look into systemic enzymes-- they are reputed to be effective in muscle and soft tissue healing and reducing scar tissue.

• Posted

Matt,

I forgot to mention prolotherapy, but it deserves consideration as a possible treatment.

I like to think of it as stem cell therapy without the stem cells. It has its uses and some patients seem to respond quite well to it.

Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.