Stem cell therapy for cartilage repair

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone tried stem cell therapy for cartilage repair ? What joint was it for ? Where did you have it done ? How much did it cost ?  What was the result ? Where did the stem cells come from, fat, bone marrow, or umbilical cord ?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had Lipogems 4 weeks ago - all the talk online was so positive about amazing improvements in pain level and function.  So far, I have had very minimal reduction in pain, though I'm told it can take several months to see improvement.  

• Posted

Be very careful with stem cell therapy.  I think it is still rather experimental so you need to make sure you are receiving the treatment from someone well qualified with a good track record.  good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Thomas. Yes, I have had stem cell treatment for my knee. My own cells were harvested from my belly. You should have seen the bruising. lol. Since then I have had 2 injections. The first one 6 weeks after my cells were harvested. Then another injection after 6 months. I have found that the pain in my knee have been reduced by 80%. I have less intensity of pain, length of pain and severity of pain. So in all I am very happy. Because I have had a total knee joint replacement done of my other knee. I had to pay for the stem cell treatment myself. I couldn't be excepted for a trial due to the replacement. I wouldn't have had to pay if that was the case. I ended up paying around $8,500 Australian dollars.I traveled to Boxhill, Victoria.  Of course I haven't included accommodation,flights( I live In Tasmania where there isn't any stem cell treatment)The hire of a car. etc. I am not sorry I got it done.I had my second injection done July last year. Of course it doesn't work for everyone.Good luck.

• Posted

I had stem cells cultured from belly fat.,and one week later injected  (plus PRP) from blood, into both knees.  For a few days it seemed like it is working. One week later I developed a reaction that was so terrible I could not walk even to the bathroom. My knees both swelled  up like big balloons, especially in the left knee. I had to be taken by ambulance To hospital where an orthopedic surgeon drained the knees of fluid.  I literally could not walk afterwards without crutches for a month and then needed a cane. The pain was incredible!  The  procedure was done last April in Mexico where I was living at the time .  Today my knees are still sore and stiff,  but much  better, comparatively speaking..  The doctor was well qualified and claimed to have around 60 successful cases.  I sure as heck wasn’t one of them.  Another doctor claimed I may have been  allergic to the solution that the solution they cultivate the stem cells in. 

Good luck. Be aware that it’s not a sure fire thing. I was told  that the worst possible  outcome would be that it might  not work, NOT that I could end up in hospital and in agony for over two months.   Perhaps I was just unlucky.

• Posted

Oh Thomas. I am so very sorry to hear about your very bad reaction from your stem cell treatment. The only discomfort I got was,after the jab, I was quite sore and stiff. Had to use crutches for a couple of weeks. Both of my knees look big and swollen all the time. This is nothing new.I recon that is due to being 40 kilos overweight.We all can't be greyhounds..lol  I don't use either crutches or a cane. I do go to the pool twice a week. I'm not as active as I was. Recon it's an older person's thing.  Hope you aren't in too much pain. That's the killer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.