Stem cell treatment

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all coping with your symptoms and not suffering too much. I haven't posted on here for a long while but felt someone may be able to help. 

I was diagnosed with LS about 4 years  ago (think I've had it mildly for longer than 4 years).  I currently use steroid cream as and when needed (feels like it's needed more and more), and I have read many self help stories of emu oil, coconut oil and bicarbonate of soda baths none of which have really worked for me.  I therefore have two questions to ask.

Before I was diagnosed with LS I was taking 20mg of fluoxetine daily, which I had been taking for 6-8 years. I decided I no longer needed to take it, so went ahead and weaned myself off (under my GPS advise and instructions). Unfortunately  once I came off fluoxetine my LS flared up and the diagnosis was made (could be completely co-incidentle - I don't know). So I wondered is there anyone on here who takes anti-depresents purely to help with their LS.  

Also, I am due to start stem cell treatment in October at the Royal Free Hospital, and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this treatment and can offer any info, e.g.. was if effective, if so how long was it effective for, is/was it very painful, how many session did you have etc.

I hope it's ok to pose these questions, and any info would be gratefully appreciated. 

Thanks Jackie 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I've justbeen diagnosed with LS, and I'm interested in stem cell treatment, really hope it has been helpful to you! Was just thinking do you have to pay privately for this treatment or is it available on the nhs at all?

• Posted

Sorry only just seen this. As I’ve just said to Irisheyes the procedure was as successful as I’d hope it would be (don’t get me wrong there has been some improvement). Have been put back on the waiting list for a second attempt so fingers crossed. Mine was done on NHS although you can get it privately in quite a few places in the UK. Lots of people who have had it done have had tremendous results, which is why I was probably a bit disappointed mine results weren’t as good.  
    • Posted

Hi Jackie, ladies

After searching for Lichen Sclerosus stem cell treatment this post came up. Just thought I’d share my journey up until now.

I was diagnosed with LS over a year and a half ago after a biopsy procedure at my gynae. My symptoms only started after my son was born, he is now 2.5 years old and I have just turned 36. I did however have a skin condition during my pregnancy which is called Puppps, terribly itchy stomach which was due to the high testosterone from him.

After I was diagnosed with LS I started on the steroid cream, my gynae recommended 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off but it didn’t bring much relief. I now use home remedies IE essential oils in the bath morning and night and have just started using pure aloe Vera directly on the skin, i find the aloe stings a lot but then slowly starts to calm the skin down to almost normal.

As I can’t imagine living this way for the rest of my life I’ve decided to take the plunge and go for stem cell treatment. I happened to be researching this procedure a month ago and came across a Dr/Gynae in Cape Town who worked on 10 patients last year who have LS all with success rates. For those who don’t know Cape Town, it’s in South Africa. I live in South Africa so I’m only a flight away. I also managed to get appointment quickly and have only had to wait 4 weeks since my initial email to Dr, her name is Dr Karien Haeck and people from all over the world come to her for this procedure. I only have to pay R5000 which works out to about $500 with our current exchange rate. 

I am really hoping that this will be the relief I have been longing for as the LS has really put my life on hold. Id like a happy sexual relationship with my fiancé and just being free to do all the things I’d like to do with my son as well as feeling normal again even if it’s just for a year. We would also like to set our wedding date.

Here’s hoping we can all get better and quickly. I must add that I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid last year so I really think this condition is hormonal. I am on meds for the thryroid condition now which is improving slowly so it’s now to get the LS at bay and try my best to keep it there.

I do think sugar is a big contributor and I find if I follow a healthier diet it does improve slightly. I also drink a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with mother in water throughout the day and add pure lemon juice to it.

Can’t wait for the stem cell procedure, only 2 weeks now. 

God Bless you 

Monique 

• Posted

I hope all has gone well for you, I’ve only just come across this thread & was wondering how you apply/get onto this programme 

best wishes

Dee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.