stent and air travel

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello, i have stent place in March of this year and started my work related travel from June onwards which is once a month. With 5 travels so far, everytime body scanner detects something in my back or groin area and has to go through pat down. Prior to my stent I have never faced this problem and wondering if something going on. I asked my Doctor and he don't think any relation but I have read that sometimes body scanner can detect some condition as well, hence my question. please let me know.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Your stent is probably an expandable mesh tube made of medical-grade stainless steel or cobalt alloy metal, which may be getting picked up by the detectors. Security scanners of this type arent 100% location specific - I have a lot of metal plates and bolts in one ankle following surgery to repair the leg after a bad accident - it sometimes alerts the scanner staff that the location is higher up around my thigh - about 2 feet away from the actual metal. It maybe just that theyre picking up on the metal from the stent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.