Stent pain/ kidney pain.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had a ureter stent in for 2 weeks now, a couple of years ago I had the same done (although that lasted only a week) and the pain I've been experiencing now doesn't compare to then. First I had to wait to the Hospital to order the machine, but I was not instructed by anyone to not take ibuprofen before the lithotripsy (to break apart the large stone) so I had to wait another week to have it done because ibuprofen is a blood thinner and could cause complications.... Then their machine broke down and caused more postponing, then the Doctor was busy for a couple of days. This has been hell for me and the few weak pain meds they gave me does hardly anything. Which I'm out of now. I have another week to go with this since I finally had the operation done 6 days ago, but I'm concerned because as of yesterday I've been having severe kidney pain along with a slight fever. I hate going to the emergency room and cannot afford to see the urologist because I have no insurance. I'm really scared and do not feel like I can make it. I have bipolar depression (which this is just making worse with bad thoughts). The doctors don't seem to give a damn about my pain. Can't sleep, can't eat. Just miserable.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Stay calm, take whatever meds you have for your bipolar. I understand and just sometimes things just don’t work out the way they say. If you are not pleased with your dr, get another dr and another opinion . So sad that u are having these problems, keep in touch.
  • Posted

I'm so so sorry, Spookie. How are you doing right now? And how long have you been dealing with your stone? Which side is it on? (or did they get the stone out finally?)

See I'm here also looking for help, hoping desperately. I've been dealing with my left-sided kidney stone since January 23. And other than the night of the 23rd, I really was very lucky to not be very bothered by much pain from it at all. Some very occasional mild to moderate throbs or aches that lasted moments and that was it! But my surgery was set for Apr 4 and I think my stone knew it cuz about 7 days before then, I started having PAIN!! Mar 31 it was level 9.5+ and I had to go to the E.R. On the 3rd it was ALMOST as bad and I almost went again but I held out. Then that night, I got a fever of 100.8 for an hour or so before it started going down and went back to normal. And I then had a period of severe nausea for a short time. Then my pain actually came down to a manageable level also.

(funny thing is I forgot to stop taking Ibuprofen too! I suffer daily severe chronic pain so ibuprofen is part of my pain regimen)

The surgeon almost didn't do the procedure because of the previous night's fever, but decided to cautiously go in. They started my anesthesia as a spinal but for some reason I got an obstruction in the middle of the procedure so they had to tube me and change to general in mid procedure. AND, when my surgeon put the stent in, he said a bunch of debris came out.. which could have been anything. But the risk of infection was too high at that point so he didn't go for the stone. He pulled out and that was it.

But due to risk of infection AND me being in very severe pain, they kept me. That night, I had excruciating pain all night long, that felt like somebody was churning shards of glass up inside my urethra and bladder... with frequent insanely sharp shooting stabs of pain up into my kidney when I went to pee, despite the 2 Norco they were giving me every 4-6 hrs. They ended up keeping me Wed (surgery day), Thurs, and Fri.

Now Monday the 9th is almost over and I am still in quite a bit of pain. It hurts to sit down or lean forward. It feels now like someone has a skewer inside my urethra or that a little troll inside my bladder has attached one end of a string to the inside of my urethra and the other end to the inside of my bladder somewhere.... nice and tight.... so that every time I move I feel it!

Anyway, I've gotta go back in on the 18th for them to try AGAIN to get the stone.... except when I just went to the bathroom, I think I may have just birthed a little pebble! Or a partial pebble... cuz my stone is supposed to be 4mm x 2mm. This one isn't close to 4mm in any direction. I think it might almost make it to 3mm maybe. So I dunno.

Sorry for the LOOOOOOOOOOOONG response. Just I have been frustrated as well. And I haven't known if the pain I've been feeling has been from the stent or the stone. I'm still in pain, though, despite passing a rock. Could be more in there. Could just be the damage it did on its way through. Or could still be stent pain. I dunno.

Take good care of you, Spookie! I like to sit on a heating pad on low. It doesn't do a lot but I think it helps a little. I've also thought of trying to sit on an ice pack??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.