Stent placed after angiogram showed 50% block in LAD

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently did an angiogram and it was found that the blockage was 50%. The doctor then went a step ahead and did an ultrasound and based on what he saw, he decided that the blockage was 80% and placed a sten in my LAD. Was he right in doing that even though the angiogram showed only 50% block ?. I have the angiogram disk, but do not have any evidence of the ultrasound to confirm that the block was indeed 80%. Are the ultrasound pictures stored somewhere and how do I get those pictures.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you didn't need a stent he would not have done it, not sure why this worries you would you prefer for it to get worse first with risk of heart attack or have it fixed now so no future problems.
    • Posted

The problem is stents are big business for both the hospital and doctor. If my blockage was 50%, I could have made lifestyle changes (diet, exercise and meds) to halt the progression and maybe even reverse it. But now I have to live with the stent for the rest of my life and deal with the life threatening situations a stent can cause especially when I get off the Plavix after one year.
    • Posted

Hi Abby, what are the "life threatening situations" you are referring to?
    • Posted

internal bleeding, clotting of the stent when getting off the plavix after one year which could result in a heart attack, and other serious side effects of taking Plavix
    • Posted

STUNNED by what you have said. Plavix OR cloggie as we know it is an tablet for  no blood clots. Have any other medication been taken while on Plavix ??.
    • Posted

The insertion of a stent / s isn't based on the apparent size of the blockage rather it / they're inserted based on a measurement called the fractional flow reserve (or they should be). A test is carried out to get the FFR figure whilst having an Angiogram smile

This Plavix (Clopidogrel) cessation rebound hypercoagulability problem is a very rare side effect not the norm wink

• Posted

I had ECG over a year prob one a month nothing showed up as a problem. I have a great GP he refered me for an angiogram. consultant looked at results and said ( you are seriously ill ) and going to have a 4 way bypass in a month. Then he took me for a heart scan. ( is this what you call an ultrasound ??? ). If so this can detect but not as good as ( heart scan ). Ultrasound pictures !!  maybe where the ultrasound was taken, it may cost if at ALL you can get them. good luck. At the end of the day your consultant would not have refered you to a surgeon bearing in mind it is up to the ( surgeon ) to make the final discission

• Posted

ECGs or EKGs are not very reliable. I had several EKGs done and all were normal. The final test - the nuclear medicine stress test showed some mild adnormalities hence I had to do the angiogram. My close friend had an EKG done and it was abnormal. But his angiogram showed that everything was fine.
    • Posted

Over a twenty year period I have had three angiograms that were clear after having had false positives results from  two stress ECG's and a stress Echo Cadiogram. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.