Stents after Ureteroscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone 

I’m due to have a Ureteroscopy on Tuesday and having a stent put in for draining of  a 10mm kidney stone after they lazer it, they missed it in a scan 9 years ago. Then back at a later date for removal but unsure when.

I’m dreading the stent am panicking like mad. I have a low bmi,  and small framed, I can’t tolerate catherters and am concerned about feeling the stent and it’s side effects. Am pretty mad they missed it as I have been back and fourth to doc for years feeling ill. Can anyone please advise? I had a cystoscopy procedure years ago and it hurt to pee for ages so am dreading this...😫 can I refuse the stent- am worried they won’t have a small one for my small frame  I’m 5ft ..oh loool. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello!!

I'm currently on my 2nd stent and I am also very tiny, I don't think there is different sizes. I'm getting mine taking out on Tuesday after my stones passed, how long does it have to stay in for? My 1st stent caused no pain!.. it did the first few days while it settled in.. but my doctor prescribed me tolterodine tartare to stop the urge to wee and sting every time, which really helped!.. I then had a new one put it and it's been a bit more uncomfortable keep needing to wee but no stinging!.. I have gotten use to it tho now... really hope it goes well!! Don't over think it! :-)

• Posted

Sorry just read your not sure when it's coming it, there is only so long they can stay in!.. when i had my stones lazered it's only got to stay in 2 weeks, but can stay up to 6 weeks depending on the situation x

• Posted

How did you let this go on so long ? A 10 mm stone .. probably needs a stent maybe 10 days .. the laser will create lots of particles to come out .. unless they take the whole stone at once ..which would be my personal choice if they can get to it depending on location of it.  
  • Posted

Don't refuse the stent. I did and nearly fainted when a stone blocked my ureter again. I do not like stents and I recommend taking your pain meds as prescribed. I pray that you have someone with you to provide support during your recovery. Technology has improved so much since I had the procedure done 5 years ago so the improvements made with this procedure should help to ease the pain that was once associated with it.

God bless

• Posted

I agree Frank , 5 years things have changed 

If the doctor keeps up

• Posted

I feel confident that urologists keeps up with the changes and improvements in their practice.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone 😊 I am an over thinker but will try to just go with the flow (excuse the pun) lol. Have had this stone since 2009, had lithotripsy in 2011 and scan and they said it had gone. Have had scans over the previous years as not been feeling well ... but consultant has told me they missed it... hence the surgery needed now.  Will try not to over analyse and fingers crossed for tomorrow. 

Thanks again all. 

• Posted

I had a stent after Ureteroscopy in 2013 and it was very very painful in my kidney for the first couple of days but then settled down,  it did give me severe urge to go for a couple of weeks too, every time the end of the stent rubbed my bladder wall.  Was taken out after 6 weeks.
  • Posted

Hi all,

I meant to ask did anyone get any other medication other than the  tolterodine ? I’m making a list to hit the doc with before I go under ... oh loool 😫😂😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.