Stents and kidney stones

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was rushed into surgery 6 weeks ago with 5 kidney stones 3 of which were blocking both tubes . I initially had a ureteral stent done on my right kidney but after 4 hours trying they gave up and a day later they performed a nephrostemy ( scuse spelling ) .. long story short i was catheterised for ,5 days before going home .

At home for 24 hours i experienced the most excruciating agony of my life when urinating . It felt as though someone was pulling my internal organs out of my body .

My gp contacted the district nurse who recatheterised me .. his made it easier ( not the best ) however after two weeks noone had contacted me to try remove it or check on me

Anyway i am allergic to morphine so was given codeine ... This was like a chocolate fireguard. No use except to constipate Me

I eventually got, after really not backing down with my surgery ... Diclafenac suppositories .. it started to work after three days and worked perfectly .. after this the pains started coming back and my kidneys have been rattling like an old Bedford truck starting up .

The past three days have been a nightmare and i have one consolation, i am in day surgery in the morning to remove the stents and laser the stones ... Hopefully this nightmare is about to start getting better .....I do react to anaesthetic whereby I can't urinate and need catheterisation but i think that will be a welcome relief after the past 6 weeks 😊

PS: not sharing this to scare anyone because the shared experiences on the site have encouraged me .

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of all you endured . My son has had kidney stones a few times and it is excruciating and so painful. 

He also finally had another type of procedure done. You lie on a water - filled cushion, and the surgeon uses X - rays or ultrasound tests to precisely locate the stones. Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) uses shock waves to break a kidney stones into small pieces in order to pass them. 

Willhave to look up laser for KS.

Now he watches his diet as he is prone to kidney stones it runs in the family.

Peace & Healing 

Hope xxxxx

• Posted

Thank you for the response, from the research I've done reoccurrence is quite common ( something im dreading ) I wasn't given choices just been booked for the laser treatment . I'm not fussed to be honest as long as they're sorted and these stents are removed .

Hope they're e to find the cause of your sons stones... Maybe it d prevent reoccurrence ?!?

Regards

Mike

• Posted

The first time that I was ever diagnosed with stones, was when I had sick stuck my urethra and nine scattered over both kidneys, including a 19mm stag horn in bedded in my left one (I've had kidney pains since I was probably 12 yrs old, but unbelievably nobody knew why until I was 32 yrs and they were causing serious issues) they immediately put a stent in both sides and I spent months in sooo much pain with them... the moral of my story is that it has only gotten better from then on. Non of the procedures/surgeries I've ever had since has come close to that. I still hate stents lol but I can function with them now and my urologist is on top, so I know it will never be that serious again.

Good luck with your up and coming surgery. I'm actually having the same thing done on the 29th so I will literally feel your pain lol (sorry smile )

Carla

• Posted

Bloody auto correct lol it was supposed to be six stuck in my urethra. . Not sick 😂😂

• Posted

Thanks Carla, I appreciate the feedback of your experience and the good wishes. All the best on your upcoming procedure.
  • Posted

I wish you better soon! I found diclofenac sodium suppositories were the only things that helped me!!

I had surgery Jan/Feb time this year for another stone that was blocking. So glad to feel better now. I even had sepsis from it which luckily was detected early.

Lots of antibiotics sorted that part.

Wish you a speedy recovery

Angela.

• Posted

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the response.

The diclofenic have indeed been a lifesaver.

I went for the laser surgery on Friday after six weeks in stents and am happy to announce they had all passed without need of lasering .

The stents have been removed and now i just need the catheter removed and a followup date for the shock wave treatment to remove those stones still in my kidneys .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.