Stents - how many?

Posted , 1 user is following.

My father turned 80 last month and has 6 stents in his heart currently. His first very mild heart attack occurred in 2010 and since then over the years, he's had further mild episodes where he had to have these other stents put in. He has also type 2 diabetes since around 2000 and although this has been very controlled and not that severe, this no doubt led to the heart problems he has now.

Over the past few years he's been well and no issues but then this week he was admitted with some intermittent chest pain. He's going to have an angiogram in the next day or so to see what's going on.

I guess my question is, what options does my father have at this stage now because I've heard it's risky to keep having stents put in esp past 80? And also heart surgery isn't a viable option apparently either at his age...? I've read conflicting opinions online.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.