Step-sisters childish behavior

Posted , 2 users are following.

My parents are divorced for years now, and my mother finally got married again. It's been a long time since she and her husband got to that decision so it's been a year or two how i was dealing with the daughter of the husband. Now, there is no DNA connection, they were just both divorced and got together and the kids(like me) were from the past marriages. The topic here is his daughter(or my step-sister, i don't go by those names because she doesn't have the genes of my mother but whatever). She is about 13-14 years old and back a year or two when she was even younger, i never thought about mature behavior coming from her because she was a kid. Now, in about 14 i would say, she has the same behavior that irritates me to the bone. It's hard to explain without extreme details but i will try. She always asks stupid, irrelevant questions that are funny to her almost as taboo but yet interesting to her. Some of the common, frequent questions: "Do you have a girlfriend?", "Do you kiss your girlfriend?", "Can you wake me up if something funny happens outside so i can get up and see what's funny?", "Your dad is not your dad, my dad is your real dad.", "Will you be coming to my party?"...The questions are always followed by weird smiles with bent heads almost like a psychopathic feel. These are just the basic questions, some occur that are quite private based on family and my decisions. Like, she once asked me if i would be in a relationship with my own sister, and sometimes will i be in a relationship with a person i don't even know. I think most of those are from her world that she has in her head, as things occur she sees but i don't. Her physical behavior is also weird. She has no interest in any clothing, technology, food, places even relationships and boys and etc...She is quite generic as a person i would say and i cannot have any communication with her longer then "Hi" as we have nothing to talk about. Her movement is rather clumsy and pretty weak for her age. She cannot do 2 things at once most of the time. She has no speech disability, but yet, she composes sentences on a "Hey, i think you are retarded so i will speak on a pretty slow and quite basic" level. She lives in Norway now with her mother and when she comes here, it's like we are taboo people on a way "We are not interesting, we are different". Things she mostly does is interact with people on this weird way and is as home as like she doesn't have any friends here( and she moved to Norway just about 2-3 years ago). She cares about privacy, but not others which is selfish, i know. I was thinking about Schizophrenia but she is not depressed as far as i see. Any answers because i need them? I need to know how to talk to this kid, i don't want her near me because i am not used to those kinds of people, i have no interest in that person(she comes once or twice a year to visit her father so i don't need to think about long term interactions but i am interested as this behavior is something i have never seen in my life) and i don't want to hurt someones feelings because her father is with my mother and it would be a problem if i made a mistake. This is all out of interest. I really don't want to sound like a bad person judging someone, this behavior of hers has be confirmed by multiple people but i am just curious what it is. Sorry for the long text, i wanted to explain it fully and thank you for reading!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Could she possibly be autistic? That's the first thought that came to mind, especially as it's often missed in girls because they often behave differently to boys with the condition, or learn to "mask" it well.

• Posted

Huh, i haven't thought about Autism. I can't quite put my finger on it as you said, it can be masked well. She can't go on her own completely when it comes to decisions, however, when she is told something, she does it if she knows how. I think it would be already diagnosed but i don't know, good catch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.