Stepped on a rusty screw, went to hospital and was told i dont have it, but im not so sure.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Last friday i stepped on a rusty screw while in the park. The screw had stuck to the bottom of my shoe, and then when i stepped down, it lightly punctured the heel of my foot (not deep). When i took the screw out to examine it, it was quite rusty. I didnt think much about until 2 days later when i started feeling a strange/uncomfortable sensation on the left side of my neck (particularly when swallowing). I had gone to an amusement park the day after the screw occurance, so i just assumed it was minor whip-lash from the roller coasters. Then the next day, i realized that i could not remember the last time i had my tetanus shot. It was definitely more than 10 years ago, so i checked myself into the ER. I then talked to a doctor who examined my foot (the puncture had already healed since it was a very small puncture) and she told me "I am from the Phillipines and i know what tetanus looks like. If you had gotten tatanus on friday and today is monday, you would most definitely already be seeing severe symptoms (paralysis, very big difficulty breathing, death etc...). I can tell you that you do not have tetanus." They then proceeded to give me a Tbap shot (tetanus shot) that lasts 5 years.

I was relieved to hear this, however, here is the problem: i read online that the incubation period for tetanus can range from 2 days to 2 months. And i was at the ER yesterday when she told me this, and im noticing that my jaw is getting a little bit tighter. Perhaps its because i have been opening my mouth really wide a bunch to make sure im not getting lock-jaw, but it could also be because i possible really do have tetanus.

Should i be really concerned here? Was that doctor being too presumptuous? I mean the way she diagnosed me was not exactly precise, it was more based on speculation. 

If the would was basically a very small puncture, does that still mean i should still really worry? 

Thanks for you answers in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Could i just be seeing the very very early symptoms of tetanus that is going to eventually take over my body?
  • Posted

Hey there

Just to let you know Im pretty sure you'll be fine because you got the tet shot.  The shot will make you feel a bit grotty for a few days - poss up to a week, but after that you will be back to your normal self.

The name 'Lock Jaw' is quite a confusing one - if you were at the stage where your Jaw locked up - the rest of your body would have also completely siezed up  as well - you would not be able to move a musle and I believe you would be in a tremendous amount of pain. Please stop over stretching your mouth and over thinking this - you did everything right by getting the tetanus shot. You will be OK =)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.