Steriod Card

Posted , 14 users are following.

Does anyone know where I can get the proper steriod card Iv e asked at the pharmacy but they don't have them.

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

They don't have them in Canada.  I bought a medical alert bracelet which also has a card, and online information (interactive health record) you can keep updated, accessible to first responders through a pin on the bracelet.
  • Posted

As someone said "medic alert" bracelet.My son has a wristband.It has disc on it. Front has the symbol for health i.e. snake round pole and on back they engrave the info you want plus their phone number.They also have details on their database about your health so first responders Tec can phone for details.Blue card should have been available in pharmacy and if not in stock they should have offered to get you one.Do not forget that if you ever get off steroids the card must be carried for a year after coming off and nurses GP dentists etc need to be told you are or have been on them
  • Posted

Hi Jackie,

I typed 'prednisone alert bracelets' on Amazon. They have some. They also carry 'Medical Alert' bracelets, etc.

BTW. I am in Virginia, also.

Paula

• Posted

There are two companies that provide the medical alert bracelets (and pendants).  One has a one time small charge for a lifetime online health record.  The other requires a small fee, monthly I think, to keep information updated.  Of course you can just wear any bracelet to alert first responders, but I like the idea that there is an accessible record with most up to date info. You can put in a lot of other info, useful for people who have multiple issues or take several different medications.  I opted for the one time charge.  Simpler, and after a few months cheaper than the other.  
  • Posted

mine was issued when the drugs were prescribed by the Hospital. It needs to show your dosage in case of untoward events so you are not suddenly deprived. I thought this was standard, obviously not
    • Posted

Maybe a bit patchy around the country.  I got my first one in my local pharmacy, when this got full I got one from the pharmacy attached to my GP's surgery when I picked up my repeat script.  I did note that the code at the bottom has something about NHS so should be available?
    • Posted

The hospital just printed the warning on a piece of normal paper but my daughter had a good idea she said to put all my information on my phone as well
  • Posted

Ask the pharmacist (sometimes the counter staff do not know it exists).If none in stock should be able to order one
  • Posted

Cut and Paste:

'In April 1998, an NHS Executive circular acknowledged the danger of sudden cessation of systemic steroid therapy It stated it was the responsibility of the prescriber to issue a steroid card to patients and that the dispensing pharmacist should check that the patient had one (and supply it, if necessary).

The card recommended was a revised version of the 1961 card that is still in use today (the “blue steroid card”). Also in 1998 the Committee on Safety of Medicines raised awareness that prolonged treatment with high doses of inhaled corticosteroids (ICS), or higher than recommended doses of nasal corticosteroids, may result in clinically significant adrenal suppression, and that a Steroid Treatment Card should be issued for patients on ICS at the discretion of the doctor or pharmacist. This advice was strengthened in 2006: the MHRA recommended that “steroid treatment cards should be routinely provided for patients who require prolonged treatment with high doses of steroids”, resulting in practitioners using the blue cards, often with the words: “prednisolone tablets” or “oral”

The respiratory network in London, the London Respiratory Team (LRT), identified that the original blue steroid treatment card was inappropriate for use in patients with COPD on high dose ICS. A patient safety card was drafted along with prescribing guidance including all the factors for safe and effective ICS use. This was piloted in both hospital and primary care settings and then redrafted

To date, this card has been endorsed by NHS England London Respiratory Clinical Leadership Group, BTS/SIGN Asthma Guidelines Committee, Primary Care Respiratory, Society-UK(PCRS-UK),United Kingdom Clinical Pharmacy Association and Royal Pharmaceutical Society, with approval being sought from several more including the British Lung Foundation and Asthma UK. The Kent Surrey and Sussex Respiratory Network is planning to promote the ICS patient safety card to healthcare organisations across KSS'  End of quote

• Posted

Apart from carrying the blue steroid card, I also carry behind it a copy of my current prescription. It's been useful many times when various doctors or nurses have asked me what meds I'm on.
  • Posted

Hi i got mine from Lloyds chemist, but boots chemist have them, also the co-op chemist have them, it is a little blue card and you put information like your name, doctors, and what tablets you take.

Hope this helps i got mine on Wednesday after reading the forum

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.