Steriod treatment card

Posted , 7 users are following.

I think it would be wise to carry one at all times.  I found the printable one on the Imperial College Healthcare website.  It was never offered to me by a doctor or Pharmacist here in the US.

Much more is done for PMR in the UK!  My thanks to this website and excellent forum.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I carry a card and also wear a bracelet. Hopefully someone will notice if anything happens to me.
    • Posted

Where would one get the bracelet.....on line somewhere?
  • Posted

Not been offered one here in the UK either, 1st I have heard about it & I am on a high dose of 60mgs at the moment! :-/
    • Posted

Should have gone to Tesco's. All nicely printed with my name and address and a big smile from a lovely lady. I only had to fill in the dose.
    • Posted

Hi,you should have been given one by your GP.Mine printed one out as soon as I was diagnosed and I filled it in and laminated it.

I believe you can get one at the pharmacy and it should be blue.

• Posted

Thank you Blodwyn, will ask at my Doctors on Tuesday as I have to go for blood test & Blood Pressure check :-)
    • Posted

Thank you for the info.  I will check it out with the Pharmacy if they have any cards.  luckily I could print one out on line.
  • Posted

I just read about steroid cards on the internet. No one bothered to mention it. I got one from the pharmacist, but you can get them on line and print them off. The pharmacist did take a while to find their stash though. Pendants and bracelets are available on the internet, you can even get expensive gold ones. I was not that enthusiastic though, I have a cheapo metal one. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your input.  Cheapo metal one would be fine...! :-)
  • Posted

I have been on 15mg of Prednisolone since July. I am doing the slow reduction Bristol method. I am just almost on 14 every day now. The pharmacy that dispense my prescriptions gave me a blue card when I first started to take them and they enter the dose on the card each time they dispense a new prescription. If you ask they should give you one. I have also bought a braclet from Medic Alert. I bought it on line. If you put it in Google it will take you to the site. The site explains everything and is easy to use. They will store all your medical information as well as putting it on a braclet or a disc to wear round your neck. You can contact them and change the information they hold as and when you want so your information is always up to date. I thought it advisable as I have Diabetes as well as PMR, a kidney problem and I am allergic to an antibiotic. It really gives me peace of mind. Hope this info helps.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your information.  I will check with the Pharmacy here in the US if they have such a card available. I have doubts because I don't quite feel I get the support I should get having to deal with PMR, and a daily intake of 15 mg of Prednisone.  I am also doing the slow reduction Bristol method which suprisingly my GP agreed with.  He did want me to reduce much faster, but then I explained to him the yo-yo problem to have to go up and down with the Prednisone when in pain and the cumulative input of steroids would be the same in the end.  I hope that the Bristol method is the way to go to have HOPE that in a year so, the illness will get better on less intake of prednisone.

I will check in Google about the Medic Alert necklace. Thank you so much for your guidance.  This medical information is important.

All the best to you.

• Posted

I have been on 15mg of Prednisolone since July. I am doing the slow reduction Bristol method. I am just almost on 14 every day now. The pharmacy that dispense my prescriptions gave me a blue card when I first started to take them and they enter the dose on the card each time they dispense a new prescription. If you ask they should give you one. I have also bought a braclet from Medic Alert. I bought it on line. If you put it in Google it will take you to the site. The site explains everything and is easy to use. They will store all your medical information as well as putting it on a braclet or a disc to wear round your neck. You can contact them and change the information they hold as and when you want so your information is always up to date. I thought it advisable as I have Diabetes as well as PMR, a kidney problem and I am allergic to an antibiotic. It really gives me peace of mind. Hope this info helps.
  • Posted

I tried to get a download for ST card.  Can only be got if you live in England
    • Posted

Yes, you are correct.  I spoke to my pharmacist here just yesterday, and he said they don't have such a thing.......I showed him the one I could print out from the UK website, and he actually took a copy of it to turn it in into his management.  He agreed that it would be important to have such a ST card for patients who NEED to take steroids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.