Steriods

Posted , 5 users are following.

Any one tried low dose steroids

For their cfs /fibro? Or cortisone injections for the pain? Thanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm on a low dose of prednisolone (2.5mg a day) for polymyalgia but it has never helped with my fibromyalgia symptoms unfortunately. I had a steroid injection in my shoulder a year ago (for a damaged rotator cuff) and it was fab. I got about 10 months relief before the pain started to return. The only real relief I have had from fibro pains so far is by taking Lyrica (200gm a day) along with 20mg of Butec (morphine) per hour via transdermal patch. As you can see from this forum what works for one person rarely works for another. It's taken a year for me to find something that helps. Just don't give up!

• Posted

Trish what dose did you start on for PMR ? and did you have a few Fibro pain free days in the beginning ?
    • Posted

Morning. I started on 35mg and i think at that level i did feel pain free but only for a few days. Once i started reducing the steroids the fibro pains returned. I have degenerative disc disease in my back and the steroid (even 2.5mg) does help with it, even though thats not what I'm actually taking it for! My rheumatologist has tried to wean me off the steroids altogether but my polymyalgia pain is unbearable without that low dose.

I hope you're feeling a bit better just by reading these posts. You are not alone! I spent the last 12 months in agony and thought I'd never find relief which sent me into a deep depression but I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel - something I never thought I would.

I think fibro is just as much mental as it is physical to be honest. It takes a long time for your head to understand what is happening in your body but over time you will get better at reading the pain and knowing your thresholds in terms of physical activity and stress levels. Personally i have found stress to be my biggest enemy when it comes to fibro.

Finally if you haven't already, try taking turmeric (tablet form from health shop). Just check with your Dr first to make sure it won't affect any of your other meds xxx

• Posted

I have been on steroids for nearly 4 years for PMR like Trish. Sadly it did not help with the same old Fibro pains I have suffered for 22 years. When I first went on 25mg a day, I did have 3 days pain free after about a week ,then  I over did it and Fibro pains returned with a bang. It took me about 2 months to mentally get over it though as I did not realise how much pain I was in every day until I didn't have it.

?

• Posted

I’ve had steroids when I have bad asthma, there is a noted difference in my pain level as it takes all swelling away, I feel like I’m on a holiday, however the dr won’t give it to me for Fibro, he recons it’s not a nice drug to have in your body fir kengthy periods, it makes you have crumbling bones, plus many other problems, but it’s fabulous,iI had an ingection under a cat scan for my knee once it had wonderful results,, I have bne on bone due to arthritis I’m just now waiting for a total knee replacement, looks like in a couple of weeks, and I know they will inject steroids in it when they are finished and it will last about 6 weeks, it’s a miracle drug, but like most things that we like are not too good for us..be blessed louise have a lovely day.😍😍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.