Steriods and COPD

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the last 2 years i thought all was well with my breathing and now all of a sudden its a struggle to walk up the smallest of braes. I was giving steriods twice now for this and i am worried that unlike before they now longer work for me like before. When i used to take them 2 days later i was like YEH this is great and could walk no problem and so happy. I am so so worried as to why this is now. I dont smoke but still use my e-cig constantly so i dont know if this is the problem so has anyone else found this? I mean if steriods and antibiotics and also a tablet to gett rid of mucus doesnt work where can i go from here i am so worried now. Thank you for any replys to this

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Two more things, Margaret: This could be the 1st thing you notice when you're going into a flare up, and is the weather colder or is the humidity different from the past few weeks? Most likely, you need to go get this checked out and sooner than later.

• Posted

I've found that any additions to the air that I breath causes me distress. So I recommend discontinuing the use of any inhaled substance. None of it is good for anyone.

Be honest with yourself/Dr. about your condition. Follow your Dr's orders and let him/her know if there is a problem. You may require more test or other procedures like an X-Ray or MRI.

I help control my mucus with non prescription Mucinex . It is a great help, but my insurance does not cover it. In addition, I use a Nebulizer and keep a Ventolin inhaler at the ready. Still I can't walk 10 feet without needing to stop to catch my breath. Oxygen is just out of my reach as my blood O2 levels do not meet the required low level.

My point is that many of us are battling with COPD and will be here to help support each other.

Best of Luck

• Posted

Larry, in the States Costco sells the original generic guafenisen, Mucus Relief, at more or less the same price as in the mid-'90s: $10.99 for a box with 2 btls,200 tabs of 400 mg each. As i take 1200 mg twice daily, that $60 membership pays off before i'm through the 2nd month. Waaay cheaper than Mucinex and also cheaper than Target/Walmart etc. house brands. It can be ordered online, also.

• Posted

Thank you very much, I'll look into it soon. Guafenisen 400mg tabs.

Thanks again

• Posted

helo margret sorry to hear your not so good, the hospital have now changed my inhalers to a 3 in 1 called trimbow, as i wasnt doing so good on others, it could be the time of the year smoke wind ect, or maybe meds need looking at, im no doctor just my bit of input, hope it gets sorted soon

regards brian

• Posted

HI Brian I was put on trimbow a few months ago along with my other pills and have noticed abig difference I used to have monthly flare ups but not had one for iver three month now Also a big difference in my walking although still breathless on bending Have you noticed any difference on using trimbow

• Posted

thanks for reply james, iv only been on it since last thursday so a bit soon to notice (i expect) i was on braitus in morning and 2 puffs twice adayof qvar 100 i had the op to remove bullies from right lung 2 and half years ago but not so good last few weeks so going for scan on thursday, how bout you? do you have empherseyma copd

whatever it it is a real bad deal lol

brian

• Posted

I have copd and been on meds for ten years but since I had pneumonia three year ago been attending respo clinic at hospital where a consultant sees you They know so much more than the local health centre but this trimbow has been really a life changer I no longer have to sit on edge of bath for a few minutes after a shower I can walk round assa without needing a trolley to lean on and put my socks on easier Sont get me wrong though I still get out of breath but can do the simpler things much easier now Hope it works for you soon All the best James

• Posted

I have never heard of Trimbow , it would help if i had an inhaler i could depend on while i am out, i had an easy inhaler which was hopeless then last time she gave me a SalamolCFC-Free inhaler but find this is no good either and doesnt seem to help at all.Also the 30 day inhaler you take only once in the morning called Anoro. Last time i saw her she said would be a progression of it, which scared me, really dont want to hear it. Have made another appt for the 11th for a full review. Thank you

• Posted

helo margret, trimbow is a biuld up inhaler not an emergeny one if the salamol inhaler isnt working i think you nead to speak to your doctor, what i have learned from this illness is you cant bury your head in the sand you have to face it and then get the help you need, it will progress and in my humble opinion you have to progress with it, a couple of years ago some one on this site told me to be in control and dont let the illness controll you. I know its a rough deal but we all have it and we are all here for you

brian

• Posted

Margaret,

I hear people saying how slow services and equipment is there. Perhaps I and others can offer some alternatives. One device that I use is a Nebulizer. They should be readily available at a medical store or on the internet. Failing that a home humidifier does the same thing but is directed to the room its in.

Also, here in Richmond, Virginia, USA., I can purchase without prescription a cold medicine called Mucinex. It is a pill that clears mucus for up to 12 hours. The generic brand is called Guafenisen and you might look for it .

Last, I understand social anxiety disorder as I can also get anxious is crowded places myself. Stand tall and brass it out as they say in the military.

All the Best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.