sternum been wired 4 times. always opens and bands cut through the bones.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a chronic dehisced sternm which means it is now open after 4 repairs to rewire it.   I had open heart surgery in late 2012 and then I had the rewirings at intervals of about 5 months each.  I think I am the only one in the world with this condtion, that whatever strong wire bands they put around the sternum it just opens and the wires stay in situ and cut through the bones.  The pain is beyond belief.  I have major instability in the sternum with the clicking and sliding and I dont dare lift anything.  Shoulder and neck ache all the time and if I do anythng with my arms pain gets unbearable.  My doctor says we are waiting for a fiborous union between the bones.  It doesnt seem to be happening or it rips as soon as I use it.  Makes life difficult!  I would love to hear from anyone who had something similar.  I would love advice for how to live with this.  I feel very lost and would like to know what sort of support I should get to help me manage this.  Should I drive?  It leave me in pain but gives me the freedom I crave.  I also feel much less well than I used to much less stamina.  I wonder if this condtion has anything to do with it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I believe that in days gone by sternums were not wired up and left to heal naturally.

A friend who had a lung removed many years ago was in that situation and his still creaks.

• Posted

thanks for the reply, I have been feeling really alone with this so its nice to discuss it.  Are you able to find out from your freind if he can do basic activitiess like minor lifting, and does he find it often rips open?  Do you think he might be willing to be in touch with me via email or phone? I have so many questions to ask if he is willing.  If not thanks again anyway.
  • Posted

So terribly sorry to read of your painful plight.  Cannot offer any help or suggestion but do so hope it all knits together before much longer. Best wishes, George.
    • Posted

thanks for your kind message, it feels good to be able to share this, so thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.