Sternum pain, 10 months post OHS

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my third OHS in November and the recovery went great for the most part; no sternum complications.

About 24 hours ago, I noticed that my chest hurt when I took a deep breath or pressed on my sternum. I do not have shortness of breath so I honestly chalked it up to heartburn (even though I don't typically get that), took a zantac with a glass of water, and went to bed.

This morning, I woke up feeling like someone kicked me in the sternum. It hurts to breathe, hurts when I move my arms, and the left side of my chest hurts worse when I lightly press it compared to the right (though, the right a bit hurts, as well). The pain radiates mostly from the left side and I feel it radiating in my left shoulder if I take a deep breath or bend a certain way.

Again, I do NOT have any shortness of breath and all of my previous surgeries were due to CHD so I'm not concerned about anything life threatening.

I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced a broken sternum wire and if what I'm describing sounds like what they felt?

I left a message with my doctor so I'll hear back from them later but I wanted to hop onto a forum to see if anyone else could relate in the meantime.

Thanks!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

From you previous experiences you would know that your sternum  will have healed by now and the wires are not doing anything and could actually be removed. After six years I have some points sensitive when touched and a few sharp points I can feel with my fingers.

Have you considered it to be cartilage pain such as Costochondritis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.