Sternum pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have COPD plus Diabeties, don't know if this has any connection I'm getting but keep getting pains in my sternum, quite sharp pains have to be careful when having pain not to move side ways as the pain gets worse ,do anyone think it connected to my conditions 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry wished I had an answer however I am sure someone will be able to help you.
  • Posted

Hi, Go to your Doctors as ask if you could have Costochondritis, It is inflamation of the ligaments connecting the ribs to the sternum, Quite often caused by heavy coughing or lifting, it's a bit like a strain.

Nothing to really worry about,, Probably prescribe anti-inflamatorys and rest.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

• Posted

So that's what it's called?  Thanks for naming it:  I had this some years back a day or so after chainsawing and stacking firewood.   The pain was unbearable - I thought I was having  a heart attack and called an ambulance.    Numerous tests at the hospital found nothing and I was eventually given painkillers and sent home with the explanation that I probably had an inflammaton in the chest wall.

It cleared up in a couple of days but believe me, it hurt FAR more than the heart attack I had some years later!

• Posted

Hi Jude, Yes thats what it's called, Costochondritis, And the symptoms are the same as if your having a heart attack.

But anyone who has chest pains should obviously get checked out to be safe.

I have had it 30yrs ago for 2 weeks and again 15yrs ago for a week and this bout of it has been playing me up for 2 yrs and I'm sick of it, Every time I have a bad coughing fit or play with the grand kids, It just kicks it off again, Only been rushed to A&E once with it though.

I'm now on stong pain killers all the time or  morphine patches when it's at it's worse.

Anyway, Keep well and Merry Christmas.

• Posted

That sounds awful, I didn't realise it could be a long term issue:  I guess I was lucky to only have it once and I'm unlikely to repeat the work that gave it to me that one time.

You're quite right, self-diagnosis isn't an option for any chest pain!  I also called an ambulance for what I thought was a second heart attack but which turned out to be pneumonia I didn't realise I even had.   

Seasonal greetings to you too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.