Sternum Pain / Throat Irritation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, any help would be appreciated, I started with this bitter taste in my mouth about 3-4 weeks ago then last week I started with sternum pains from the bottom to the top. I was initially put on Naproxen as my GP and A&E consultant thought it was a muscle strain as sometimes got a short sharp pain when I took a really deep breath. However now I now have a feeling like something is in my throat that I need to Swallow, the bitter taste and a more prominent warm sensation in my neck along with the sternum ache. So now my GP has put me on omperazole and took me off the Naproxen and says that it's acid that has irritated my esophagus and that's what's causing the pain. Does this make sense to anybody? I did have a previous shoulder injury that I took ibuprofen for, could this have irritated my stomach in some way and caused the acid to irritate my esophagus and throat and how long does it take for the ozmeparole to kick in (only had 1 tablet so far) so the healing process can begin if it is this.

Any help is appreciated as I'm worried that it could be something a lot worse and being only 23 that's a little scary

Thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Medication takes a few weeks to kick in, but it depends on your routine and health system. It could be depending on the intake of foods and digestive system. More powerful medications work quicker but they also increase the chance of side effects, so its important to be balanced.

• Posted

Hi, you might find this reassuring because I believe it can be anxiety related / induced or muscle spasm / nerves related as well. I have had this very same symptoms often (I'm 22), even very bitter, acidic taste in my mouth but usually only when I think I have them and I focus on them for a little while. Try to break out of it and see if its correlated in any way to your mood, notice if you feel it more when you might think you're having them, or when your mood is down (especially if you are generally worried about it and you know the symptoms that people feel normally). You probably don't have this when your mood is up or when you do something that gives you positive emotions. I often try to fight it with my brain by forcing myself to believe that I don't have anything and that I am making it up and in a couple of seconds the symptoms go away fully, or I try to redirect the pain and imagine I am feeling it somewhere else in the body. If this works then you should see an immediate pattern between the way you think (discouraged, negative, anxious) with the level of discomfort you're experiencing physically, especially if you consciously focus/ ruminate on it too much. This made the symptoms go away completely for me as it seems that your brain is inducing either muscles spasms or it triggers the nerves around that side of your body that produces the sensations that you're describing. So notice if that makes it go way, if it its that then its anxiety related, I know it feels very real but there's actual studies that show how you body becomes more sensitive (mentally) and then gives you these sensations or triggers some of the nerves/ muscles that make you feel this way. But please do the necessary medical investigations either way if necessary, even for your piece of mind! Please try it, its been quite a revelation for me! All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.