Steroid induced diabetes

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone got this??? I am pretty sure I have!!!  My HBA1C count, or three monthly blood sugars, indicate a drop from 49 to 46, or 0.3 on the older measurements, despite losing two stone+ in the same period....or am I jumping to conclusions??  I am certain that without the steroids, currently the coated ones, on 5,5,31/2ml per day my sugars would have lowered more.

I am lowering the steroids as I can, but don't want to taper too quickly, for obvious reasons.  have been on them for 5 years, with only a 3 month period when I remained steroid free...but then had to go back on them as I was virtually unable to walk/drive etc. due to lack of mobility.

I will continue dieting, but am now a size 14 and 5'9'' in height, so there is a limit without becoming scraggy!!!! I am currently walking 5 plus miles per day, with yogurt for breakfast, and two salad wraps per day. I have a meeting with diabetic nurse and gp on Thursday...but would welcome any comments.... I feel I am doing my best!!!! Or am I???

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You certainly seem to be working hard to maintain your health! Good for you for that! It is well known that Prednisone (or extra cortisol in the body) can raise blood sugar. You don't need to continue losing weight if you don't want/need to to control your blood sugar. It's about what you eat, not the quantity, and what your body uses as fuel (glucose from sugar or ketones from fats). I eat zero sugar, and there is sugar in a LOT of things that we don't suspect. Also, excess protein converts to glucose, so for some people that is a factor.  In spite of this, my lab blood sugars are always just a touch high thanks to the Prednisone, although not high enough to concern anybody.  If I wasn't eating this way, I suspect I would be developing diabetes. I hope the diabetic nurse will have good suggestions for you.

• Posted

Thank you Doni for your reply...I am not eating much sugar either...yoghurt and salad wraps, and only sugar in daily apple or perhaps a few strawberries. just not sure where i'm going with this at present...my husband suggests I just stop the steroids, but don't want to be immobile!! 

• Posted

Oh, I totally understand. I was shocked at what a few strawberries did to my blood sugar before I developed PMR, and there is a lot of sugar in flavored yogurts. There is likely sugar in your wraps, too, unless they are lettuce wraps. Bummer, I know. You can test your own blood sugar and that might help you to figure out what is causing it to rise and what isn't. It's going to be individual for all of us. Looking at information on ketogenic diets might help you as well, although that's not how I eat personally. A few small tweaks might be all that it takes. Your husband has not experienced the pain we go through so it's unfortunate that he made that suggestion. Allowing our body to live in that high a state of inflammation is no more healthy than the side effects of Prednisone, and a lot more uncomfortable for us.

• Posted

Maybe you aren't eating enough of something.  I don't think a salad wrap is much of a meal, is it?  Maybe you need something more hearty, like soup, and skip the wrap part of the wrap, just eat the contents.  Also, is there some sort of sauce or dressing in the wrap?  Those can be secret saboteurs of the best laid diet plans.  Any chance you can see a registered dietitian who could go through your diet with you and point you in the right direction?

• Posted

Hba1c isn't a measure of the sugars - it reflects the average level of glucose in the blood over the previous 3 months. It is has fallen from 49 to 46 that is good - it means the average BS level was lower than in the previous 3 months. Weight loss contributes to the change in the figures - but if you are dieting you are almost certainly eating less carbohydrate in general, including sugar, and that means the peaks of blood glucose don't go up so high.

It isn't just "sugar" intake that is important. All carbohydrates are processed in the body or make glucose and what are often called "white carbs" are the worst as the highly processed white flours are broken down quickly and that forms a high spike of BS whereas complex carbs, wholegrain flours and so on, are broken down much more slowly so the BS level doesn't get as high which is better. One of the REALLY bad things for peaking BS levels is fruit juice - it causes a big spike in the BS whereas whole fruit with all the fibre still in it and only broken down after you eat it leads to a slower rise in BS that doesn't go as high. Fruit juice isn't always healthy!!!!

• Posted

Hi Margaret,  I too have found it frustrating. I have been on prednisone for 5+ years and have managed to reduce to 3 1/2 a day (just recently).  When I had my blood work done in March my fasting glucose was 7.1 and my A1C was 56.  Three months later and after losing about 9lbs, very limited carbs, cutting out all but 1 glass of wine a day (I know it’s still too much but...) and exercising at least 5 days a week (walking, cycling and a few weights and crunches my fasting glucose went up to 7.3.  My A1C stayed the same (56).  My Dr. said to wait till the next blood work up in 3 months to see how it is.  Apparently our red blood cell replace themselves every 3 or 4 months so the changes I’ve made may not show yet.  

I know many of you eat a much more restricted diet than I do but it is very frustrating and disappointing to make significant changes and work hard to get healthier only to find out you’re getting closer to being diabetic.  I guess the plus in all this is that I feel better, have more energy and can fit into my clothes better??

Work with the nutritionist and keep up your good work!!  

Diana🌸

• Posted

Thank you for your replies, it is frustrating that I have tried so hard on the sugars front and yet seem to have little result. Looking forward to seeing the gp on Thursday to hopefully have some suggestions….I am pleased with my weight loss!!! Bon courage, everyone!!!! Let's all keep going and supporting each other. At least we're all trying!!!!

• Posted

I was pre diabetic before I started prednisone. And about a year after starting the prednisone it changed to type 2 diabetes.
    • Posted

Hi Amkoffee, are you trying to reverse the diabetes and have you met with any success?? I am trying, but it's not as easy as I thought....I thought losing weight would crack it but am still pre-diabetes, come down from diabetic!

• Posted

Margaret, I want to wish you the best of luck in reversing diabetes T2. Type 2 diabetes runs in my family, I was diagnosed 62 years ago this month. I have tried all kinds of diets and am very active. For the most part I been able to basically control my blood glucose with oral medication, diet and exercise. Prednisone threw that out the window, I have been out of control till I got down to around 10 mg. Currently on 7 tapering to 6.5 and get my blood glucose under control. My daily reading have been much better, going to doctor next week and think my A1C should have improved. The key is diet and exercise, diet and exercise, I know there are all kinds of books with different ideas, I have tried a number of them, you and I know what I bad for us, simple do not eat it. Second watch how much all eat, eat a head of lettuce, no carbs your blood glucose will go through the roof. Key do not over eat. Can diabetes be reversed, I do not know, but YOU can control it and live a very good life. Good luck on your journey, stay positive and try to smile. ☺️
  • Posted

Well, I don't have to go to the diabetic nurse for another year, after losing over 2 stone. although my sugar levels have hardly reduced, I am told they should do as steroids reduce. Am hoping!!! And am keeping up the exercise, diet, diet and exercise regime, thanks to the dog!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.