Steroid Injection.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Two weeks ago I saw the rheumatologist. I had severe pain in my shoulder and I could hardly move my arm, pain in my knees, feet and ankles. She gave me a steroid injection in my shoulder and within 2-3 days the pain in my shoulder subsided but not only that I could walk without suffering pain in my feet and ankles. I do however have pain in my knees though. Can anyone tell me does the steroid although injected into just one joint get absorbed by the body to other joints helping the pain? It just seems such a coincidence as the pain in my feet and ankle subsided at about the same time as the pain in my shoulder.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I believe it is more common than not that steroid injections help other areas. I have a friend who had injections in her feet for plantar fascitis. She also had a cyst on her wrist and was scheduled for surgery to have it removed a couple of weeks after her injection. The cyst completely went away after the injection and she cancelled the surgery. 

• Posted

I had one in my bottom due to multiple joint pain with ra. Its helpef my hands but nowhere else.
  • Posted

Hi,

I can't be sure but I would assume that it would help other joints too.....I have been given kenalog twice (injected in my bottom) and that tackled all of my joints.  The first time I had it, I felt like I was walking on air the day after the injection as it took all of my pain away (most days) for 3 weeks, the second time I had it (Dec gone) it wasn't as evective but it did help a lot.

Maybe request Kenalog next time, it might work for you too?!

• Posted

Thank you everyone for replying. I only hope I remain pain free for a few more weeks and thank you Victoria for your recommendation.
  • Posted

By coincidence I was woken last night with bad pain in shoulder.  I tend to get pain in various parts of body, feet, wrists, fingers, hips and shoulder but not all at once normally, thank goodness.  I haven't had trouble with big joints for a while but found previously that after about 3 days it subsides.  Just have to see it through.  Some years ago these joints used to be a problem and I did have a course of steroids but that seems to have been less trouble of late.  Yesterday whilst shopping my feet were a major pain, so maybe it a proper flare up.  See how it goes and try to carry on.
  • Posted

My sister has inflammatory arthritis, knee, feet, wrists...the local steroid in knee took pain away approx 3 weeks....but major steroid in bottom, took all pain away (this was xmas eve) pain now slowly returning!......this is the longest it has been....now saying they are possibly putting her on Methotexate!
  • Posted

Hi Matron....yes the Steriod can be circulated throughout your body, via your blood stream....Our muscles are supplied with blood, which absorbs the steriod, and will automatically tranfer it to other parts of body.  My rhuematologist has said that she can inject upto 3 points in one session, with a few weeks/month break in between.  By administering an injection into the Gluteal Muscle (bottom muscle), which is one of the major/largest muscles, with the most blood supply, could be the answer to a faster/more diverse result.....also the more you have (or in my case at least), the lesser the effect, so perhaps, if you widened the time-span, you may also get a better result....it has been over 12 months since I have received an injection, but have also not needed an injection into the points of previous injections...making me feel that the steriod has assisted in the healing of these joints.  I am now considering the need for a steriod injection into my R) Facio-maxilla joint, as it has been very tender over last few weeks  (have seen dentist and awaiting results of x-ray, but was told by same dentist about 5 years ago, that this site is affected by arthrites)...Hoping this gives you food for thought.  Bron
  • Posted

Hi

i had a flare up so on Monday I had a steroid injection. Felt like a new person and the swelling went from everywhere. I've also had my methotrexate increased to try and stabilise it. My last injection was on 22nd December so they don't want to give me too many but at least I can move at the moment.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for sharing your advice and experiences. You've all given me food for thought and I can now actually see a future that's probably less painful. Thanks again
  • Posted

I found this post because of a Google search asking if a cortisone injection can help other parts of the body.

The reason is that I have had extremely painful shoulders for about three months, twenty sessions with my physio, which didn't help and a week ago my doctor gave me a cortisone injection in one shoulder.

He intends to inject the other shoulder next week, if the first one works well.

It did work well. Not only has my right shoulder become loose and pain free, where he injected, but the left shoulder has improved by the same amount.

I can only assume that the steroid in my blood has helped both shoulders.

• Posted

I was just wondering this same thing, I just got an injection yesterday in my left elbow fo tennis elbow,

Altho I don't play tennis, lol😂 it's been hurting since Jan .

I've also been suffering with neuropathy, fibro and osteoarthritis pain for the past 4 years since my chemo after my 2nd breast cancer diagnosis.

I still have the burning in my feet and a lil ache in my feet, but nothing to what I have had.

Last weekend I could barely walk due to the pain.

And I was like VictoriaM84 got up this morning and was like I was walking on air. I haven't felt this good in 4 years 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.