Steroid injection

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all

literally ive just had steroid injection in my affected ear consultant said theyve had promising results from it, just really seeing who else has had this and how they have got on with it if its helped or not

thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I Had my first steroid injection in January after multiple daily menieres attacks. It stopped the attacks immediately but they started again after a few weeks. I have had a total of 9 steroid injections which gave some relief but the attacks always came back. In May I received two Gentamycin injections one week apart and have had no menieres attacks since. The downside is a total loss of hearing and poor balance but my menieres was so bad I am pleased with the outcome. Good luck with your steroids I understand they work for some.

Paul

• Posted

hi

yea he did explain that the gentamycin may affect hearing even more but said a paper on the study of the steroid injection revealed it done the same as the former, just trial and error i suppose as no 2 of us react the same to whatever medication they try

• Posted

Hi

I've had 3 steroid injections predisolone and it has reduced my attacks but left me a bit unsteady for about a week it seems to work but for the unstable feeling I would do it again are you booked for more injections it is normally about once a week for 3 weeks hope they help you my friend

• Posted

hi

ive been fine since the injection he said i may feel a bit dizzy for a day or so but after that should be fine, hes recommended seeing me again in 6 months to see how things have gone seems a long time but said he wanted to see if it had any affect over a long period

• Posted

I have had then before, and never saw any real improvement. Diet change and finding out that almonds, pepper (peppercorn), oats, & cheese all trigger my MD. Once I cut those out my hearing returned to normal and haven't had an attack in over 275 days.

• Posted

I have one every 5 months and most of my symptoms have settled. I will continue prob got a lifetime. I weened myself off SERC and living life once again. Only thing that bothers me is a little hearing loss which hopefully will settle in time but unlikely

• Posted

hi

sounds like its worked for you which is great hopefully will have the same affect ive got to go back in 6 months to see how its gone

• Posted

i tried that years ago i take betahistine and see a upper cervical chiropractor every two to three weeks ! no more spinning!

• Posted

steroid injections helped with ear fullness and some of the tinnitus. Problems always reoccurred a week or so after injections. I had gentamicin injections in my left ear 40 years ago and never had another vertigo attack. My hearing was not affected by the gentamicin injections and has actually improved a little over the years. I developed MD in my right ear two years ago and that is when I had the steroid injections. I've been on betahistine (64mg/day), 50mg of diuretic (water pill) + meds to control nasal allergies. That combo has eliminated the vertigo and ear fullness from right ear. My MD was caused and is triggered by nasal allergies and once I was able to manage that successfully, the MD symptoms diminished. My neurotologist believes at least 50% of MD in patients is caused by allergies. You might want to have yourself tested to see if allergies are causing your MD symptoms. GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

hi

Thanks heres hoping!! can you get the allergy test done at your local GP im 49 and have only had it for about 8 years but have been worse in the last 18 months, he seemed suprised as he said it normally burns itself out over time rather than getting worse

• Posted

allergy testing is normally done by an ENT that specializes in allergy treatment (allergist). There are several types of tests that the allergist will administer. The first is usually a simple blood test. If that comes back inconclusive, the followup test is usually the skin prick test which consists of injecting allergens under your skin and checking for skin reactions such as redness, swelling, etc. Sometimes all of the tests come back negative but the patient may actually have what is referred to as "non allergic rhinitis" (which I have). Non allergic rhinitis can successfully be treated with a combination of sinus flushing (over the counter saline) and antihistamine nasal sprays. Beware: If you are also taking betahistine (Serc) you should NOT also take ORAL antihistamines as they could neutralize the effect of the betahistine. You can take the antihistamine that is administered via nasal spray....this does not counteract the betahistine because it does not enter the blood supply as the oral ones do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.