Steroid injection failed ... what next ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

?So, after 35 years of intermittent ankle pain after a bad ligament sprain and the promise of arthritis in later years. I reached 50 and had the worse painful experience in my ankle ever. After visting A&E I was told my cartlidge is shot and the arthritis is agressive. I was referred for a steroid injection in the ankle which I had, but 3 weeks later after a gentle (honest) swim, my ankle swelled up again and I was back to my usual pain - not the one off horrenhous one, but the usual pain and limp for a few days. After going back to the consultant, he has told me that ankle fusion is the only way to remedy the problem whilst still being able to swim, cycle and play golf. He doesnt reccomend it until the pain becomes unbearable.

?Can anybody relate to this ? and if so, what did you do ? I am a bit torn to say the least, particularly as my kids are still young enough for me to want to run / play with.exclaim

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm 56 years old and my doctor said I was to young for fusion,said I needed total ankle replacement. Which gives you full range of motion and your ankle is bendable. If you have your ankle fused then your other parts like hip and knee will suffer.get a second opinion.

I had total ankle on Sept 6,and I am healing just fine. Hardly any pain.

Second opinion.....

• Posted

Hi Steve

I can relate to everything you are saying my dr wanted to fuse my ankle also. I didn't like the idea I wanted to keep what little movement I had in my ankle. I opted to have a total ankle replacement which I had September 14th of this year. I am already in less pain than before surgery. So if I were you I would research both options and base your decision on what you find. So far I am extremely pleased in the decision I made. Best of luck I hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Steve, I can completely relate to your situation, I also have aggressive Arthritis in my ankle with pain that is just dreadful. The only option for me also is the 'Ankle Fusion' I'm 54 and am trying to leave the op until the pain is unbearable. The problem I have is that I work full time in teaching and cannot afford to have weeks and weeks off work and don't have anyone to take care of me post op. I am told that I would be completely incapacitated,, afterwards so what ever would I do? 

Good luck with whatever decision you come to.

• Posted

Hi steve47190,

Similar situation in early years as yours. Now 60 & needed something drastic for ankle swelling,limp,pain & post traumatic arthritis.

Found a great surgeon who said I was too young & active (aw) to have a fusion. Just went through a total ankle replacement & other minor pre op surgeries before hand.

Just saying that seemed like a good choice for me & I have an active teen daughter that still wants to do fun things & I wanna be there to do them.

I hope you decide what to after reading the forum & get on the road to healing & being there for your children. Sooner than later is my personal thought.

Good luck steve

Weezer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.