STEROID INJECTION - HEADACHE ??

Posted , 7 users are following.

My consultant injected my knee with steroids and pain relief yesterday. i suffered a dreadful dreadful headache during the night that kept me awake til 5am

is this a side affect of the injection does anyone know ?

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Depends what else was in the injection. May have been some epinephrine which acts as a blood vessel constrictor so the medication (steroid) doesn't dissipate so rapidly but stays in the area longer.

You may be sensitive to the epinephrine which can cause rapid heart rate and increased blood pressure and headaches.

Do you ever have the same problem when you go to the dentist and he injects a local anaesthetic? They often contain epinephrine also for the same reason.

• Posted

yes steroids can keep you awake I have the same problems after a steroid injection.

• Posted

Just before being wheeled into the OR for C Spine Epidural, surgeon said headache was a side effect and boy oh boy did I have a 3 day headache! Along with bowel incontinence (go figure) for about 10 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.