steroid injection. .will it work?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys

Simple question...how well do steroid injections work...I have a thoracic herniated disc at t6/t7,and allthough the discomfort is manageable it's the associated symptoms that aren't

The main one is stomach problems, however I don't get acid reflux or heartburn but just a permanent odd feeling in my tummy which makes me feel unwell. .on a good note this rules out any serious issues and omeprazole or any other ppi won't help due to this

Personally I think it's the pinched nerve due to the herniated disc that's causing the problem along with anxiety. ...relieve the disc herniation and this should in turn help with the stomach issues,but trying to explain this to my doctor is another story

Is there any meds that can help with nerve problems in your stomach. ..

Thanks guys

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brian

steroids are only a short term measure. The temporally relieve inflammation but they don't fix the underlying cause of the inflammation. The idea is to have some relief of the symptoms so you can do physio and put the herniation right.

I had oral steroids after my herniation was diagnosed and they did work for a bit but in the end I had surgery as the herniation was really seriously ous. 

So if you do get an injection then you need to also have a course of treatment to actually fix the herniation.

hth

• Posted

There not designed to work permanently, hencrypeiple can have up to 2 or 3 a yr . They can also cause more damage to the bone in the long long run might be good to read up on it. I've had 2 nether worked 2 sore me in hospital for 5 days with a fever. If u suffer from stomach problems like me this can make it worse. My niece works in neurosurgeon department on reception. She reports 90% of patients say it dosnt work. Why do they still do it u might ask . It's cheaper than other alternative s.

• Posted

In my experience injections are a short term fix. Hade them in my neck twice. Stopped working. So began PT learning other ways to manage the herniated disc. Lower back disc was fixed with micro sugery, 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.