Steroid injections

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all i'm a 39 year old male diagnosed with perthes at the age of 4, i've recently experienced pain in the joint and following doctors and x-ray appointments have been advised of the usual painkiller/hip replacement options but have been told about steroid injections directly into the hip and wondered if anyone has any experiences of the procedure??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Im a 43 year old male and was diagnosed with Perthies at the age of 7. I have also been suffering quite bad lately, my hip locked for 7 hours last week and I could do absolutely nothing about it, until it eventually unlocked itself, anyways the time has now come for me to look at a Hip Op or some other kind of treatment.

I must admit I have heard of the Bristol Hip replacement, Hip Cement, Possible Bone marrow replacement too, but never heard of Steroids, I am no medical adviser, but I would look at Steroid injections as a last resort.

It will be good to see how the trials go if thats the case, or to hear any other views.

Cheers All

Shaun

• Posted

[quote:d266830f69=\"Ian Davies\"]Hi all i'm a 39 year old male diagnosed with perthes at the age of 4, i've recently experienced pain in the joint and following doctors and x-ray appointments have been advised of the usual painkiller/hip replacement options but have been told about steroid injections directly into the hip and wondered if anyone has any experiences of the procedure??[/quote:d266830f69]

Yes, in 2000 I had painkillers injected in both my hips to determine if the pain stemed from my hips, it entailed a needle being inserted into the hip socket with the aid of ultrasound. I did watch it on the screen, the result was I did have pain in both hip socket reigions as I did feel no pain on a temprary basis.

I have bi-lateral perthes

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Gary

• Posted

Hello

I am a 25 year old female diagnosed at 2 years old.

From 14 years old I have been on a wide range of pain killers.

I am a struggling more and more having been house bound for 2 weeks due to the pain in my hip - it can no longer take my weight!

(I work hard to maintain light for my height so its not that im over weight)

Because of my age the docotors refuse to think about a replacement and keep putting off steroids...

Can anyone out there help me/advice me?

I use a cane or crutches everyday and my body is having negative effects now to the sheer volume of pills i have to take just to look after my little girl and myself.

My next appointment with the doc is friday but everythime I see him he convinces me I should live like this now so when I'm older I can have the opp!!!

Is that normal?

To live like a pensioner at 25 just so I can walk when I'm older??

Im really anxcious as to how long i can continue like tis and I always loose my confidence over how bad it is when im at the doctors - he makes me feel like everyone has this type of life but I can see no one else around me is in this pain.

Any thoughts advice would be very helpful.

Cel x

• Posted

Hi

I am a 34 yr old female. My pain is now too much and had steroid injection last week., The pain is still there and want to know if any of you did anything further to help with the pain.

Mad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.