Steroid injections

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anyone had a steroid injection? Do they work? How long does it bring relief for?and more importantly what were the side effects ? Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have had a few (in bottom) but never felt any benefit or side effects. I know some do feel better for a while but they are not long lasting benefits. Worth trying though.
  • Posted

Hi. Ive had a fair few... The relief for me is within couple hours, only lasts about 4 days tho and I get big lump on side of my neck... But it's different for everyone, my rheumatologist tells me I'm just plain awkward because it's ment to last longer... But when they give it to you they will tell you that a few hours later your going to feel drunk or very energetic.. I normally feel drunk lol, but you might react very differently

• Posted

hi Emily.

just a short answer to your question to hopefully alleviate your fears. I'm a RA sufferer of nearly 30 years. I've had many steroid injections to alleviate my pain and it's always been a joint decision between me and my consultant. not once have I had side effects to them. ever. pain usually increases after jab for one day, then after that virtually no problem at all. almost no pain. that's my experience. jabs are limited to 4 per year. depending on pain experienced and dosage which you discuss with your consultant. hope this helps. Ivan.

• Posted

hi Emily.

just a short answer to your question to hopefully alleviate your fears. I'm a RA sufferer of nearly 30 years. I've had many steroid injections to alleviate my pain and it's always been a joint decision between me and my consultant. not once have I had side effects to them. ever. pain usually increases after jab for one day, then after that virtually no problem at all. almost no pain. that's my experience. jabs are limited to 4 per year. depending on pain experienced and dosage which you discuss with your consultant. hope this helps. Ivan.

• Posted

forgot to mention Emily, the injections I've had usually last me 2-3 months at a time so it's worth at least one go for you. take care all the best, Ivan.

• Posted

Ive had 2.... the 1st 1 was on 2nd sep..and i woke up pain free.... it actually made me realise how sore my foot had been leading up to that..

I had 1 again 2 weeks ago...i wouldnt say i felt the same releif.. but then the pain wasnt nearly as bad..

Its hard to say how long they lasted for me as i also started diff RA meds at the same time..so dont know whats down inhection..and whats down to the Meds..

As for side effects...both times its knocked my cycle completely..but that us quite common.

In my opinion..its def worth a try.

Hope this helps

Shelly

X

• Posted

I had steroid injections in both my knees for JIA but they didn't give me anything relief. Also had this horrible cracking and popping sensation in my knees for a few weeks after the injections which I was told was normal. Hope this helps

• Posted

I hurt my knee right when I went off metho. I wrenched it badly, requiring draining and they also gave me a steroid shot. I felt pretty good for two weeks all over!  Then my pain was back. I didn't correlate it, but the rheumy did. Went on  leflunomide at that point. 

So yes, a steroid would work. I don't know how long it would last however. 

• Posted

Are you meaning a general jab in the backside or one into a specific joint?
    • Posted

I think he said in my leg muscle at top general overall one target area knees I think?
  • Posted

Hi Emily

I had a steroid injection on diagnosis and put on methotrexate at the same time and I can tell you I was totally pain free, then some 6 to 8 weeks later had to come off the methotrexate as it wasn't suiting me and OMG the pain came back with a vengeance, I was living on Ibrufen and paracetamol for about a month then went back to my rhemi he gave me another injection and I started back on methotrexate just the beginning of this week, I have to say it doesn't seem to if worked as well this time for some reason but the pains certainly not as bad as before, I would definitely go for it if I were you, good luck I hope it helps

• Posted

Thankyou to everyone for there input 😄

• Posted

Hi Emily,

I have had several steriod injections during my 54 year tour fighting juvenile rheumatoid arthritis...two in right knee, three in left TMJ, four in right TMJ, lots of fingers for triggers.

When I am injected I request some fast acting steroid combined with long acting steroid.

The injections are unpleasant because a needle is being placed into a hot, red, swollen joint already in a lot of pain. I usually ask the doc to go when I nod...first I take a big deep breath, nod, and hold it until the injection is complete before letting my breath out.

Initially, the joint is going to feel very full. The pain during the injection ceases about five seconds after the needle is withdrawn. Within an hour I begin to feel the pain in the joint begins to subside.

A caution: steroid injections can make a joint pain free BUT it is imperative that yiu rest that joint for a week so that you do not cause damage because you could not feel the warning pain gives us.

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.