steroid injections for shingles pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

The first day my rash appeared I saw my dermatologist who diagnosed shingles and gave me an anti-viral medicine. The rash went through the typical stages of blisters, scabs, and eventally fading in color. But , as many here have described, the pain was unbearable on my left shoulder blade, left underarm, left breast. I went on a low dose of gabapentin and nortriptyline, which I'm still on (it's about 6 weeks since my rash first appeared). Three weeks ago, my dermatologist gave me steroid shots in the spots where I told him it hurt. He numbed the skin first and his assistant also blew very cold air onto the spot while he gave me the shot. The pain of the shot wasn't too bad, really, even in my armpit. He gave me many shots. It took at least a week to 10 days to feel a reducton of pain in those spots. I returned to him a week ago for more shots in the spots that still hurt. I felt relief more quickly this time, but he also gave me lots more shots than the first time. I have another appt. with him next week. These shots have been a godsend, as I wasn't able to wear a shirt or bra for weeks due to the pain. I'm almost back to normal now. I wouldn't call it pain anymore. It's now just a feeling of minor irritation where it used to hurt like heck. I don't know why I can't find any information on the internet about these steroid shots for shingles pain. I want everyone to know about them. I also went to my family doctor once about the shingles. She prescribed the gabapentin and anti-depressant. When I asked my dermatologist why she hadn't mentioned the steroid shots, he said that she wouldn't have been trained in that. I highly recommend the steroid shots. I believe my dermatologist told me that there is also a bit of lidocaine in those shots, but I'm not sure I'm right about that.

Hope this info can help someone.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There are many painful side effects of steroid shots including weight gain, nausea, vomiting. Gabapentin and nortriptyline are usually given for the shingles.
    • Posted

I did not experience any side effects from the steroid shots
  • Posted

Does your doctor feel this will last indefinitely ?  I had never heard of this.  Did he have experience with this previously?  I have the pain in the same places.  Around the armpit is the worst.  Please continue to check in and let us know if it is still working.
    • Posted

I will be seeing my doctor in one week and will ask him if the steroid shots will give me permanent relief. Even if it doesn't , it is a welcome break from the horrible intense pain I had before the shots.

I will definitely be back in touch.

Gail

• Posted

I forgot to mention, Ruth, that my dermatologist first gave me only 1 steroid shot and that was in the hip. At that time, he said that my sore places were too painful for him to inject into them. He said that the steroid shot in my hip would go to any and all painful areas, and hopefully reduce my pain at least enough that I could tolerate the follow-up shots. It took over a week, but it did help some. After that was when he started giving me steroid shots in the spots where I pointed to that hurt the worst.
  • Posted

Thanks Gail,

i am hoping others will comment on this treatment..   If your Doctor was trained in this maybe others will know about it.  My dermatologist said she didn't know of anything that would help shingles pain except the lidocaine cream and I do use it for temporary relief.  I have had this now for 7 months.  Cannot stand a bra and when alone I go topless!  Otherwise about the only thing that I can tolerate is a cashmere sweater, with a vest over to look respectable!

• Posted

Hi

I have pain in exact same places also on left side head. Had blisters on scalp. I have been taking Gabapentin and Ativan. Also getting laser treatment. The pain is soooo bad😥. Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

Only someone who has had shingles knows how BAD the pain is. One night I just sat up and cried as there was no position for me to lie down in that wasn't excruciating. After many nights of only an hour or two of sleep, my doctor prescribed the anti- depressant Nortryptyline (25 mg). She said it is a great sleep aide, and it has really helped me sleep.

I'm so sorry for your pain. I know how bad it is.

• Posted

The Ativan helps calm the nerve . Maybe I try Nortriptyline. People that has not experienced the pain has no clue. It can be a lonely place at times. I do have days where I feel good sometimes. Thanks for sharing.
    • Posted

Blessings,

I had laser treatment, didn't help though.

In fact I've had everything...acupuncture, traditional and Japanese, botox plus very type of drug and creams that have been mentioned in these discussions, all to NO avail.

I do use an eye heat pad at night, yes HEAT, and have been for a few months, my opthamologist suggested it, I leave it on my eyes for 15 minutes and it does help a little and definitely relaxes me also, just before sleep.

• Posted

Thank you. I will try the heat pad. I had the laser about 3 hours ago and I'm still in pain. Have you heard about Vitamin C IV helping? Someone suggested it. I've never tried it. Have you?

• Posted

No I have not heard about Vitamin C IV, might be worth looking into though.

I'm in Sydney and the weather conditions now do not help at all, as its 39 and 40 degrees most days!!!!

• Posted

Blessings, I was wondering how your laser therapy went for PHN pain and if you could provide any info on the laser that was used. E.g. the laser wavelength, power, and the amount of time the laser was used. I hope you have found some relief.
  • Posted

Hi Gail,

What news!!!

I'm going into my third year suffering shingles/PHN, left side of forehead, eye and scalp. The pain I can cope with its the incrfedible itch and sensitivity that causes me the most distress.

Can I ask you where you are? country? I'm in Sydney, Australia.

But I will and am certainly going to look into these steroid shots, as Ive tried and done everything.

Keep in touch.

Catherine

• Posted

3 years...you poor thing! I live in the USA. I have to tell you that my doctor said that it has to be caught early. He told me that he sometimes has people come to him who have had shingles for months or years, and it is much harder to treat then.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Absolutely agree with your doctor's comments as mine was misdiagnosed and I didnt get the anti-viral drug in time.

Thaks for your quick response

• Posted

The shingles affected your facial nerve.  Are you able to close your eyelids? 
    • Posted

Yes Rocky I can close my eye lids, but the left eye,  which is the one that's affected, I can't look up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.