steroid injections for shingles pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

The first day my rash appeared I saw my dermatologist who diagnosed shingles and gave me an anti-viral medicine. The rash went through the typical stages of blisters, scabs, and eventally fading in color. But , as many here have described, the pain was unbearable on my left shoulder blade, left underarm, left breast. I went on a low dose of gabapentin and nortriptyline, which I'm still on (it's about 6 weeks since my rash first appeared). Three weeks ago, my dermatologist gave me steroid shots in the spots where I told him it hurt. He numbed the skin first and his assistant also blew very cold air onto the spot while he gave me the shot. The pain of the shot wasn't too bad, really, even in my armpit. He gave me many shots. It took at least a week to 10 days to feel a reducton of pain in those spots. I returned to him a week ago for more shots in the spots that still hurt. I felt relief more quickly this time, but he also gave me lots more shots than the first time. I have another appt. with him next week. These shots have been a godsend, as I wasn't able to wear a shirt or bra for weeks due to the pain. I'm almost back to normal now. I wouldn't call it pain anymore. It's now just a feeling of minor irritation where it used to hurt like heck. I don't know why I can't find any information on the internet about these steroid shots for shingles pain. I want everyone to know about them. I also went to my family doctor once about the shingles. She prescribed the gabapentin and anti-depressant. When I asked my dermatologist why she hadn't mentioned the steroid shots, he said that she wouldn't have been trained in that. I highly recommend the steroid shots. I believe my dermatologist told me that there is also a bit of lidocaine in those shots, but I'm not sure I'm right about that.

Hope this info can help someone.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I’ve tried everything, but not steroid injections as you described. Did you pain continue to subside? How are you now? Would you recommend this?
    • Posted

Larry,

I got shingles in Dec, 2015. My dermatologist treated me on the very first day that the rash appeared. I took the anti-viral medicine for a couple of weeks. Then the pain got really bad. Maybe a month into the shingles, he started giving me steroid shots in the most painful areas (left armpit, upper left breast, left shoulder blade). He gave them to me every 2 weeks for 2-3 months. He told me that it can take up to one month for the shots to fully work. I got some relief after about the first 2 weeks had passed, and slowly got better as the weeks passed and he continued to give me the shots. I asked him one day what is in the shots. He said each shot had 5 mg Kenalog (a steroid) and a little lidocaine (don't know the amount). I credit those injections with getting me over the hump of PHN. I was also taking a low dose of gabapentin as i couldn't tolerate a higher dose, and I was taking Nortriptyline. But I really think it was the steroid injections that made me well. I feel blessed to have suffered with PHN for only short time (3-4 mos,). Those few months were horrible. i couldn't wear a top or bra as anything touching my skin was torcherous, even the softest shirt or bedsheets. My heart breaks for everyone on this site who has suffered for years with PHN. I highly recommend steroid injections. 

I will add that at first the thought of a needle going into those most painful areas was beyond imaginable, but the technique used by my doctor made it very bearable. The nurse stood on my right side, the doctor on my left. The nurse held a long "wand" that blew out very cold air quite forcefully. She aimed that cold air right where the doctor inserted the needle, and it didn't hurt. He gave me probably 6 or 7 injections at a time in my armpit (my worst area). As I said, it took weeks to get relief. It wasn't right away. But after the first couple of weeks I experienced a small percentage of improvement. A few more weeks and another set of shots and I'd get a bit more relief. In 2-3 months I was much, much better. All that's left to this day is a numbness in my left shoulder blade. That's where the rash first appeared. I guess it will always be numb. No big deal.  

I hope you get relief if you try this.

Gail

• Posted

Gail

i was wondering how you are doing now a year or so later concerning your bought with shingles, I got a shingles rash on my left side just below my butt cheek I did not know it was shingles and I did not go to the doctor for a couple of months and then not for the rash, but because it was hurting I did ask the endocrinologist who I was in to see on that day if she could tell me what it was and she confirmed that the rash was shingles I then started doing a cleanse internally and the rash was pretty much gone a couple of weeks later but then I began to have the most horrible excruciating pain in my left hip - which is already pretty bad and painful anyway - the most horrible pain!  anayway I was needing to see the orthopedic surgeon because I am heading towards a hip replacement and the pain has become almost unmanageable I am slated to get a cortisone shot or shots in my left hip and I am hoping that they will help it has been tough to get a doctor to verify that it is shingles causing the pain but anyway the ortho pretty much poopoed  the shingles as the source of the pain but I know it is why all of a sudden things ramped up so bad. Anyway I am just wondering how long did your internal shingles last for you and how many times did you need to get the shots I guess really just an update and advice. The shingles has been so intense to say the least and the doctors have been pretty blasé offering gabapentin and that is about it. I do not want to take it so I have not, I do take some pain medication

but even that is really not working for the pain 

thanks so much for the info you have shared and for any response you may have time to send may way. I am long winded I know so apologies.

tiffany

• Posted

Tiffany,

I'm so sorry about all of the pain and suffering that you have endured. 

Fortunately, I have continued to be completely free from PHN. No relapses, nothing. Only VERY minor reminders of what I once had. Those being occasional itchiness in my left armpit and left shoulder blade, which is still numb. My doctor did mention a couple of times that the success rate is much higher for those who get treatment right away, which I did. Honestly, I might not have gone to the doctor immediately on the first day the rash appeared, but 2 days later I was scheduled to travel out of state as I was going to my son's for Christmas. Because of that and the holidays I thought I should get it looked at right away. I didn't know it was shingles. Otherwise, I might have let it go for a bit as initially it didn't itch or hurt. Glad I didn't.  I sincerely hope you get relief somehow. 

Gail

• Posted

Gail

It is very good to read that you are fine now. I just want to know that are you still taking steroid shots or taking any pain medications like nortryptiline etc. Or you just left medication and steroid shots after 3 to 4 months ? 

• Posted

I got well and was able to stop the steroid shots after 3-4 months. I continue to take nortriptylin to this day, but I take it for my migraines, not for PHN. 
    • Posted

Nice. May God give you good health. It means your phn was cured with steroids

My father is thinking about taking steroids for PHN that’s why I am curious.

• Posted

Yes, I believe it was the steroid shots that cured me. My doctor gave me  those shots every few weeks for  3 months. Gradually there was less and less pain. As I recall, some on and off itching lingered beyond that, as well as some numb spots which took a year (?) to fade, but that horrible pain went away gradually over those 3-4 months of the shots. 

My doctor told me that the sooner treatment begins after the rash appears, the better a patient will respond to treatment. The first day that my rash appeared I saw my doctor and started on an anti-viral medicine for a week or two, then added the gabapenten and nortriptyline, but the pain was horrible and constant no matter what medicine I took. I took a low dose of gabapenten as I couldn’t tolerate a higher dose. The steroid shots started  about 4-6 weeks after the rash first appeared. It took a few weeks to notice any reduction of pain after the first round of shots, but little by little the pain got better, and finally went away altogether a few months after the shots had started. 

Good luck to your dad. I hope steroid shots bring him relief. I highly recommend he give it a try. 

• Posted

Thank you for writing back.

I hope he’ll get relief. Many good wishes for you. Wish you have good health for whole of your life. 

• Posted

Hello Gail

Hope you are fine! Actually my father visited many doctors but nobody is ready to give steroid shots in my country.  Can you please share your doctor’s information here. Can you please share his website, email and phone etc so that he can discuss with him. 

I am very concerned about his health. 

I’ll be very thankful to you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.