Steroid intramuscular injection

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had one 2 weeks ago and the impact has been amazing. I was having Plaquenil and Etodolac for 2 years and for the past 4 months I have been struggling. I have been having Methotrexate for  the past 2 weeks too.  any advice on what to do when the injection wears off, if methotrexate is not having effect??  I would like further steroid injections really but I was told it was a 'one off' - don't understand why. It probably has bad side effects but so does methotrexate and I am 59 years old  ( lucky so far with my health) so I would continue with steroids if I have a choice.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

my understanding is that the steroid injection is to give short term relief while waiting for the methotrexate to have an effect ( possibly 12 weeks) the steroid brings down inflammation and pain but doesn't hold back the progression of the disease. If the methotrexate isn't having an effect by the time the steroid wears off ,they may increase the dose or add another disease modifying drug . If it takes a long time to find out what holds back the disease for you they might do another injection in some months .

. But it's important not to have them all the time so they can see if the methotrexate is working and then you wouldn't even need them . I found it helpful to keep a daily record of tender and swollen joints so I could tell if there was improvement.

.But it is great to get such relief isn't it?! - especially after struggling with pain.

• Posted

Thanks for the explanation - it does make sense. I think I had better make the most of this respite and hope the methotrexate will work well for me!
    • Posted

Hey,

When I was first diagnosed I was put onto Plaquenil. However, as this takes a few months to kick in, I was still struggling with extreme foot pain even after two months of treatment. The doctor gave me an IM steroid injection and within a day my foot pain vanished. Luckily for me, by the time it wore off the Plaquenil had started to work and my feet didn't bother me again (until my Plaquenil dose was lowered earlier this year, but that's another story).

I'd just say have a little faith. It might take time for the MTX to work, but if it does the side effects of MTX are much prefereable to the side effects of IM steroid injections.

And like you said, just enjoy the respite. That was exactly the word I used for the relief when I asked for my injection. Not just physical respite, but mental respite from the anxiety the pain was causing.

Vic

• Posted

Hi, I am glad that plaquenil is mostly working for you as it doesn't have many side effects, does it? Interesting that you mentioned your foot pain - I know it it isn't, compared with lots of other things, but to me the foot pain feels like the worst!! It's bliss at the moment thanks to the steroid injection being able to walk around normally.  I used to look at my tiny toes and think 'how can you be hurting so much?' It seems out of all proportion.  As for what goes on under my foot, the ball part, where there is nothing to see whatsoever, how can that be so excrutiating??!!  I have thought about reflexology which is a foot based therapy, isn't it - have you tried this by any chance?

All the best

Anne

• Posted

Hey, 

Yeah - foot pain for me is the worst too. Sometimes it feels like all of my toes have been broken and then put back together again. Add that to the sensation that I'm walking on marbles and it all adds up to a pretty miserable experience.

But what I find most annoying is that apart from some swelling underneath, it alls look pretty normal down there. I don't want them to swell up and end up out of shape, but when there's nothing to see I start to wonder if it's all in my head. Then again, I'm still in denial 3 years after the diagnosis anyway wink

My foot pain only came back after my Plaquenil dose was lowered a few months ago. I'm hoping that things settle down again once the dose is highered again.

I haven't tried reflexology, but my boyfriend reguarly gives me a foot massage. Weirdly, although it hurts for him to touch them, it just makes them feel like a part of me again! I can't really explain it. I also use a hot foot massage gadget thing that I bought in Boots. Again, it's just nice to have something touching my feet.

Do you wear insoles in your shoes? I put them in all of mine. Takes the pressure off a bit.

Vic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.