steroid shot reaction

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a second steroid shot in my right heel yesterday. It reacted differently than my previous shots in both heels and between my first 2 right toes. Very shortly after the shot the pain became way worse than before the shot. I can't put any weight on it now, as it is excruciating. Icing and pain meds haven't helped. It's kept me up all night. I have an email out to my doctor, but I was wondering if anyone else has had a reaction like this. And if so, any tips?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

HI Leah ive also had the steriod injections for plantar fasciitus in my heels . The injections also made my symptoms worse , had to have a week off work the pain was unbearable , i ended up iceing my foot four times a day with painkillers also found out now i also have heel spurs , been to see a consultant and he gave me some streching excercises waist of time , so a moment struggling on .

• Posted

reading this reminds me of my situation. 3 steroid shots, did nothing, stretch all the time which makes it feel a bit better for a hour or so after, PT for a month which was just going over stretches I already was doing, , night boot cant sleep in, walking boot cant walk in because it makes my gait off which is causing hip pain , bought socks you can put ice pack in, also compression socks & taping my foot , CbD OIL and cream , nothing works. sooo tired of being in pain, so I TAPE my foot & put on compression sock , innersoles in sneakers so I can get thru the day. Just hoping one day will be gone , 6 months of this so far !!!!!!! good luck to everyone who has this !

• Posted

Sounds like you do all the stuff I do. It's a full time job trying to mitigate the pain. Taping, lidocaine patches, arch bands, orthotics, stretching, icing, massaging, CBD oil, night splints...even tried cupping, tens unit, heatpack/muscle relaxers for my calves. Exhausting and frustrating, to say the least.

That horrible pain after my latest shot lasted about 2 days, then subsided. I had about an hour of total relief.....then, as usual, every day gets a bit worse. I may have a couple more weeks til it becomes brutally painful again. I fear surgery is in my future. And from what I've read online, the surgery can make it worse for some people. Hope I'm not one of those people!

• Posted

newest thing , I bought spenco brand innersoles , friend of mine said they worked for him. At this point Ill try anything!!! Bought at a health & sports store who know their products , takes a few weeks if it will work

• Posted

HI joanm im like you now , gone through everything you can and just cant get rid of this , take over your life in the end , bit stay positive , thats all we can do , , i go back tomorrow to see consultant , il keep you updated on how it goes .

• Posted

I hope they do the trick. Foot pain makes a body totally miserable and if it lasts a long time it really gets you down. Keep up with your perseverance and don't let this beat you.

• Posted

The pain you have described is called a cortisone flare. It's temporary. I had an identical experience following a cortisone injection in my heel. Pain resolved in 48 hours. Hope this helps.

• Posted

THANKS ROMMEL GO BACK NEXT WEEK TO SEE CONSULTANT . DONE STRECHES AS ADVICED FOR FOUR WEEKS TOTAL WASTE OF TIME

• Posted

Thank you. Yes, it resolved in about 2 days. That was awful!

• Posted

I agree the stretching exercises are fairly useless. However, cortisone injections helped me a lot. I find that my orthotics usually need adjustments every year or so. I usually find out the hard way; my PF flairs up. I get the injection and then have the orthotics adjusted. I'm good for another year until the orthotics need an additional adjustment. Bottom line is the PF never fully resolves.

• Posted

HI Rommel im starting to realise that PF goes away , do you have carbon fibre insoles .

• Posted

No. I don't know what my orthotics are made of but I'm sure they are not carbon fiber.

• Posted

No. I don't know what my orthotics are made of but I'm sure they are not carbon fiber.

• Posted

Leah; no adverse reaction to my injection, But I had PF and did the usual things, such as bought insoles, rolled the frozen bottle of water under my foot, stretching, and finally an injection in my left heel. Because it started in the left heel, I began to favor that foot bringing on pain in my right. I work twelve hour shifts in Manufacturing on concrete. When I went to get my injection my podiatrist told me "This is going to hurt". To which I replied "You do what you have to do".

The injection paled in comparison to what I had been living with and waking up to each morning. Today I am pain free and I want everyone with this affliction to be as pain free for the same costs. One day at work, as I was walking to the end of my production line (350 feet away), I turned around and took a few steps backwards. When I turned back around and began to walk forward again, my heel did not hurt as bad. That afternoon I stopped by the school track and walked the front stretch backward, trying to have my right arm and left foot both out in front at the same time, and trying to keep the distance of each step as though I were walking forward. Concentrate on how the ball of your foot strikes the ground. Stand up straight, maintain proper posture. If someone were to take video of you walking backwards and played it in reverse it should appear as though you were walking forward. A little over two years now without hurting, if I feel even a twinge of pain in my heel I simply take a few steps backward. I credit this alone with my PF relief, although I do have a pair of SOLE brand insoles in my work shoes. At around $40.00, they have crazy good arch support. So if you are still fighting PF, best of luck. I hope this helps and if it does, please share with others.

• Posted

I'll try anything at this point. I had a cortisone injection a month ago that provided next to no pain relief. I had my custom orthotics adjusted a month ago as well with very little relief. I bought a new pair of Lowa 8 inch high tactical boots for added stability. That helped a little. I'm on my second podiatrist and I have an MRI of my right ankle scheduled for 12/18. I not only have right PF but my right Achilles tendon is involved as well. Walking is difficult. I purchased a PF night boot and wore it for the first time last night. That helped. Stretching helps as well but hurts like hell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.