Steroid Taper app

Posted , 11 users are following.

I’ve just been reading the  PMR/GCA UK December newsletter and discovered this free taper app. You can choose which taper you want to follow or set your own. Just exploring it now.

http://www.pmrgca.co.uk/content/steroidapp

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Quick look at the site  and I see that they implemented it in a way that one has to predict how long the PMR will last. You select the taper plan based on the predicted length , say 104 weeks and then it guides you thru taper. Example for 104 weeks follows Dr. Kirwan's schedule with staying on 10mg for 1 year and then tapering 1mg/month. The issue is that below 10 or so, it is hard to go in 1mg steps...

I wish it was structured differently...

I plan mine using PC in MS Excel and track it on paper notes...

• Posted

Well, Nick, that's the thing.  If it's the one that was being trialed on the healthunlocked site that was my first reaction, and for me it's so much easier to use an eraser to change my potential taper than to have to fiddle with technology, because you can change your taper in the program.  Moreover my pocket calendar has a record of every single dose I've actually taken, easy to see at a glance where I've been, and where I'm going can be a fluid thing, able to be changed in literally seconds.....

• Posted

I haven’t looked at the one you can write yourself, but presume that you can put in whatever taper you want. I understand that the course of PMR and steroid dose is unpredictable but I fund it helpful to look at a structure like this - and think my GP will also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.