Steroid withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, sorry this is going to be long. May 2017 I had sudden hearing loss. The ENT prescribed 50mg of prednisone for 5 days and then down to 25 for 10 days and then stop. It happened again in July with the same prescription, then again in October. However this time I had a horrible reaction and was having major anxiety and panic and I stopped the prednisone after about 10 days. At this point they did an injection of steroid directly into my ear as this wasn't supposed to have the emotional side effects. About 1- 2 weeks after this I started having achy legs. Not bad but sort of like I had been working out a bit too hard (trust me I haven't ). It isn't horrible but rather annoying. They have been checking for autoimmune but nothing seems to be jumping out as a problem. I'm wondering if stopping the prednisone so abruptly could be causing an issue even after this long. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I have had 2 flare ups for which I was prescribed prednisolone. On both occasions I was dosed at a reducing weekly rate for example 40mg, 20mg, 10mg and finally 5mg for 7 days. The accompanying documentation goes into some detail about the danger of sudden withdrawal from the steroids so I am mystified that you were on 50mg then 25mg and then fully withdrawn. I wish you well.
    • Posted

I am mystified as well but he said it is standard protocol for him. Things have seemed better in the last few days so hopefully things will continue to improve.
  • Posted

Ah that's good then especially if you are feeling better. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Kakena.

I'm on here searching because I have been on steroids for a month and finally stopped two days ago - my body has broken out into a horrible rash, which I'm finding has happened to others.  Not sure what other side effects I will have.  In any event, your post caught my eye because they were prescribed to me due to sudden hearing loss. I've been through MRI and some other tests and can't find cause, but I was exposed long-term to carbon monoxide, the levels of which escalated (and were finally discovered) about one week before I lost my hearing.  I suspect this may be the cause.  I'm just curious as to whether or not you've determined the cause of your hearing loss?  I'm hopeful it's a one time thing if it was caused by the CO, but no way to know.

• Posted

HI Mel, it depends on who you talk to about what it is. The rheumatologist believes it is something called autoimmune inner ear disease. There are no tests to support this so her opinion is based solely on the fact that it has happened several times and it responded to steroids. My osteopath, massage therapist and naturopath all believe this stems from a car accident I had in which I hit my head very hard. I think that is the more likely theory but the rheumatologist laughed when I suggested it. I hope for you it is a one time thing, I find it very stressful as I always feel like I am waiting for the next episode. Hopefully the accident is the cause and all the things I am doing will fix it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.