Steroids

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was wondering, those of you who have had steroid injections, has there been any improvement in your hearing? My hearing has been very badly affected by menieres. There is some hearing which of course I want to preserve but I think it may have got too bad to improve upon now. I think for some where steroid injections are administered early on, hearing can be improved but not sure about later stages where the hearing nerve may be damaged

Tim

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Tim,

I have Meniere's now for about 25 years, I am 59 years old, last year my attacks had gotten so bad that I was having sometimes 3 a day and they were all pretty bad, some lasting up to 3 hours at a time. My ENT doctor did the steroid injection in my bad ear and to my surprise and amazement, my attacks settled down to maybe once a month and they were not very bad and only lasted around 30 minutes tops. As for hearing, it did not improve at all, but I would still prefer to lose more hearing than deal with the debilitating vertigo attacks. My doctor did tell me in advance that the steroid injections would not help my hearing or decrease the tinnitus.

My injection of steroids was in November 2016, it is now May 2017 and my vertigo is just now coming back but nowhere even close to how bad they were before. My last appointment with my doctor he suggested I waited till they became more frequent before getting another steroid injection. Personally, my opinion anyway, my my attacks are so bad, and so frequent, I don't care if my hearing improves or not, I just want the vertigo to stop. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you Paul. I use a different medication and have been attack free for about 7 years now with occasional wobbliness but am at least able to work. My hearing loss however has robbed me of my enjoyment of music (I'm a keyboardist/pianist in my spare time) and makes conversation really difficult so am keen to find anything that might give any improvement. Tim

• Posted

They did decreasevmy tinnitus but no real improvement in hearing. I too am a musician and I get vibration from certain sounds in my bad ear which is very frustrating. I think the vibration or certain frequencies being irritating to my bad ear also causes some dizziness

We are all different so I would get them and see what happens

• Posted

Bluesmann, did the injections help your other symptoms? I've been offered injections but don't want to make my symptoms any worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.